Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this hunk of flint, could have been/probably was, hacked at by Indians. I decided to see if I could get anything out of it. this was the result, same ole story the more I try to thin it the more it gets smaller and fatter. Would’ve liked to notched deeper but got too fat on me. Some day I’ll figure it out. Might have to be more mindful of my platforms like discussed earlier. I had my ridges and ground my platforms and all but I just erased all my ridges and didn’t have lines to guide my flakes after the first pass… guess I need more practice
IMG_8875.jpeg
IMG_8876.jpeg
IMG_8880.jpeg
IMG_8881.jpeg
IMG_8882.jpeg
IMG_8883.jpeg

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You’ve got a lot of it figured out. I’d say you’re well over half way there. Clean flake removals with no hinges or steps. You just need to learn to thin. Lower your platforms closer to the side you are thinning. You have to get the flakes to go at least half way or farther across the biface. That piece of flint is not the highest quality either. It can make a big difference in your outcome.
Found this hunk of flint, could have been/probably was, hacked at by Indians. I decided to see if I could get anything out of it. this was the result, same ole story the more I try to thin it the more it gets smaller and fatter. Would’ve liked to notched deeper but got too fat on me. Some day I’ll figure it out. Might have to be more mindful of my platforms like discussed earlier. I had my ridges and ground my platforms and all but I just erased all my ridges and didn’t have lines to guide my flakes after the first pass… guess I need more practice.

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It isn’t the best flint for sure. Might be why they didn’t bother with it. Pretty common local stuff, there’s nodules laying around on the surface. Probably cracked one open and thought nah.

I had a similar looking piece I tried to focus on using my bopper more to drive flakes and set myself up better with platforms. It had some fossils in there and broke in half on me multiple times it just wasn’t good stuff and now I have multiple small hunks of stone

I’ll keep in mind to watch how high or low my platform is next time I mess around. Thanks for the tip

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread