Please Help Identify Asian Bowl

chadkeath

Jan 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi and thank you in advance for any help. I am seeing if there is anyone on the forum who can read what this chop mark is and maybe opinion if it is an old piece or a newer reproduction. I just have a chance to buy it and would love input. Size is around 8 inches tall and 16 wide.

109935276364Pash.jpg
6906316276364Pash.jpg
9584400276364Pash.jpg

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The writing on the sides doesn't appear actually Chinese or Japanese to me. Maybe Mandarin, or Cambodian(Campuchia(sp?)? It might be a drinking cup too, not a bowl.

Upvote 0

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The makers marks are embedded in the metal at the bottom and appear to begin with an "F".

Upvote 0

Yang Hao

Feb 23, 2015
Haerbin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did some research and this is what I came up with. NOTE: Not 100% sure if it is this.
• It is Chinese.
• The first photo says:
刘仁祥印 simplified Chinese
劉仁祥印 traditional Chinese.
liurenxiangyin pinyin (the yin means stamp or print)

Now what does this mean?

It could be a bowl designed by a Chinese pottery artist named liu ren xiang (刘仁祥)
From a Chinese pottery article I translated the following info:

Liu ren xiang born 1952. He is from Jingdezhen city in the province of Jiangxi. He is that city's master pottery art teacher. He is a member of the jiangxi applied art society. He is also a member of jingdezhen city's Chinese calligraphy society. The city of Jingdezhen is known for its porcelain. Here is the link below to the chinese article:

http://www.jdzmc.com/Article/Class4/Class20/14876.html

As for being authentic I'm not sure as the "stamp" looks to be a sticker. Therefore it could be a reproduction of his work. However it could be another person by the name of liurenxiang who also designs pottery with Chinese calligraphy.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The same seal crops up from time to time on Asian art forums (usually on bowls) and is assigned to Liu Ren Xiang as Yang Hao says.

Your particular bowl is pictured at the link below, with that assignation:

Asian Art Forums - Detail List

One responder commented that: “The calligraphy is engraved with knife, which is considered as intangible cultural heritage”, although I’m not sure what that really means. I took it to mean “cannot be described/categorised exactly” in the sense that it's not in a traditional/ancient style (the artist was born in 1955 according to this source).

At 16 inches across, it for sure isn’t a drinking cup/bowl! Nor a rice/noodle bowl. At that size, they’re usually regarded as fruit bowls or washing basins, depending a bit on the shape.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread