What's new

Please help identify this ugly thing

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2006
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
155
Golden Thread
0
Location
Lillian, Alabama, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this out in the yard and it is huge.... and ugly, lol... I have no clue what it is. Please help identify this creature. I moved him to a safe place so my wife wouldn't have a heart attack, lol... Thanks in advance.

DANGLANGLEY
 

Attachments

  • IMG_9849 - Copy.webp
    IMG_9849 - Copy.webp
    40.2 KB · Views: 375
  • IMG_9850 - Copy.webp
    IMG_9850 - Copy.webp
    89 KB · Views: 374
  • IMG_9851 - Copy.webp
    IMG_9851 - Copy.webp
    98.6 KB · Views: 372
Looks like a type of tomato worm :dontknow: :dontknow:
They get pretty big..

Tim
 
Upvote 0
It is a moth larva. Eitherone of three a Royal Wanut moth or maybe a Imperial moth best guess is aHoney locust moth. They like sumac, sweet gum, oaks ,maples and sassafras. Would be right for the s.east. I do not think it is a cut worm. Thousands of these things and they either morph into a butterfly or a moth. Cool looking. Just stay away from the stinging hair ones they will put a very bad hurting on you. I would take 50 yellowjackets to one stinging hair caterpillar. :icon_sunny:
 
Upvote 0
Take TnMountains advice seriously! Them stinging hair caterpillars hurt so bad! I never knew that there was a caterpillar that could hurt me until I found out the hard way.

Doug
 
Upvote 0
Wow, I appreciate the help. Sure enough it is an Imperial Moth Caterpillar. I found a picture that could have been the twin of the thing in my backyard...not that this makes my wife feel any better :wink: Thanks again folks.
DANGLANGLEY
 

Attachments

  • impmoth.webp
    impmoth.webp
    25 KB · Views: 269
  • impcat.webp
    impcat.webp
    12.1 KB · Views: 272
Upvote 0
Good I.D Kurtma12 !!
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom