Please help me decide

wesmac

Greenie
Jan 22, 2006
Ok, heres the deal, i have been interested in metal detecting since i was very little. Neither myself or my family could really ever afford one. I am 19 now and in college, and think it would be a great hobby. My father said that he would go in half with me on a ACE 250. My father and I havnt really had a father son, buddy relationship since i quit playing baseball at like age 12, so I think this could bring us closer together, however, he said something about bounty hunters metal detectors. Im wondering if i should go to Walmart and just get 2 of those, or even 2 at radio shack for the 200 im gonna spend on the ace, this way we can detect at the same time. Im sure he will go with me anyway from how he acts. I dont want to buy junk, but to me, Bounty Hunter=Junk. I know the Ace isnt $1000, but its supposed to be pretty good. What do you guys think? Thanks! ???

P.S. This would be my first detector. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Deftone

Jan 10, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck, if i could go detectin with my dad it wouldnt matter what machine i had. As long as there was diggin and a good time!! :D

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't say a Bounty Hunter detector is junk.? You might equate it to comparing a Chevy and a Cadillac, the BH being the Chevy.? You certainly can find things with an economy priced BH, and many of the better finds on this forum have been found with some model of the BH detector.? The upper end of the Bounty Hunter lineup is not necessarily inexpensive and they have all the bells and whistles.? What you have to bear in mind is that if you do buy the $100.00 Wal-Mart specials you will soon tire of them and want to move up to something more sophisticated.? The ACE 250 has its shortcomings too, but it is a very good entry level machine with? turn on and go features often found in more expensive detectors.? I think you would be much happier with the ACE250 than two of the economy detectors.? Perhaps you could take turns using it, marking the spot with a flag or something and let the other one dig? Assuming your father becomes interested he will want to buy his own in short time I'd almost guarantee.? If it don't work out, then you can still enjoy the hobby and would have no trouble selling the ACE if you didn't want to continue tihe the hobby.? I warn you ahead of time, I know of no one who wasn't hooked on the hobby after getting a taste.? Good luck and et us now how it turns out.? Would love to hear about your first finds.? Monty

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
Ditto Monty: I started with a RS(BH) machine and wasn't all that pleased. Last spring I purchased a ACE250 and love it!!!! It renewed my interest in this hobby and now I'm hooked for good. My advise is to get the ACE and you'll be happy you did.
HH
Greg

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Actually it is remarkable. The one thing the most experienced and the least experienced detector owners agree on is the Ace 250 is a great machine easily worth the $200. If money is the issue- just share the digging tasks. If you or your dad become addicted there will be other detectors in your future. If you don't become addicted well selling an Ace 250 is going to be a lot easier.

GEORGE

TXKajun

Oct 12, 2005
Desert Southwest
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 750
Get the Ace 250 and then a TinyTec Deluxe pinpointer ($43). Then one of you can detect and mark the spot, the other can pinpoint and dig. That way, both of you get to share the excitement of EACH find and don't get into a contest of who can find the best/most/biggest etc.

HH, ya'll!

AzSports

Feb 16, 2005
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's Gold Master, Garrett Infinium
I have to agree with getting the better ACE, then take turns digging. I much prefer that to putting the unit down, re-checking a hole, gloves on, gloves off and all that! One thing I don't like about my infinium is that it has no external speaker, so it's harder to share the thrill of the beeps.

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
Have you thought about getting a better class detector secondhand from a dealer with a warrantee.The treasure ace lacks the depth and capabilities of a lot of machines. I would opt for a better machine which can be used for a wider variety of detecting.Many people start out with cheap poor standard machines and regret it. Buy quality not toys. I recommend early minelab Sovereign they are very good in depth on beaches and parks will out perform all cheaper machines easily. Thats my suggestion for what its worth good luck hope you find plenty Seeya Neilo

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i see your point neilo, but the ace 250 is no toy. yeah.....its depth isnt the deepest but it will effectively detect to about 6 inches which in most cases is more than adaquate.it also discriminates and pinpoints quite well. i have found colonial coins, large cents,silver mercs, a barber dime, as well as $120 in clad and jewelry with mine. it does have its shortcomings for sure, but for the money it cant be beat. especially with a factory warranty and garretts proven customer service. there are better machines out there, but you can expect to pay more for them used than the ace costs new. i would go with the ace. you really cant go wrong with it.

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
I used a treasure ace down at the beach in wet salty sand and wouldnt pick up a coin at 3inches, same coin buried to 10 inches picked up easily by sovereign in same conditions. Toy detector for sure seeya Neilo

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
that explains it! wet salty sand + ace 250 = crappy performance!..... i agree the ace is not designed for salt water conditions.it works best in dry sand or in soil.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty said it very well.....I would not spend the money on two cheap machines! Both of you would be disappointed. The Ace 250 is a good machine for the money, but isn't the best everywhere as it doesn't ground balance which limits its uses. Not having a salt mode it is worthless in the wet sand at a beach. No matter which you buy, you'll soon be getting a better detector for the other guy. The Tesoro's detectors are very good and if you need service, there is the lifetime warranty.

My son and I went out a lot and it was fun for both of us. The next year we both spent about $600.00 dollars for each detector.

HH,

Sandman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread