please help me determine if this is valuable!

justmechillun

Tenderfoot
Apr 17, 2023
Hi there,

I have spent days trying to find a nickle like this, in the process I have learned quite a bit about die clashes, die breaks, cud's, bisecting something or others and more. I have seen some subtle examples.

This coin appears to have many different minting flaws mentioned, especially if you look closely and magnify the pics... but nothing about it is subtle.

Can anyone tell me if I can sell this and retire?

Much appreciated, I am driving myself crazy trying to figure this out.

Jg

Attachments

• 20230416_205523.jpg
    20230416_205523.jpg
    411.5 KB · Views: 117
  • 20230416_205613.jpg
    20230416_205613.jpg
    393.4 KB · Views: 116
OP
OP
J

justmechillun

Tenderfoot
Apr 17, 2023
Hi,

thanks for the advice. Do you think valuable like "take this job and shove it" or valuable like "I bought a 6 pack for an old nickle I found"?

Jg

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like 2 nickels were glued together and the impression from the other nickel is in the glue that is on the face of your nickel you can see where the glue has chipped off.

OP
OP
J

justmechillun

Tenderfoot
Apr 17, 2023
thanks for the input. I am thinking I will try an acetone bath to see if there is any glue to remove. that being said, fingers crossed nothing changes. I will post the pics of the process.

Thanks!

Jg

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is glue, or something like, it for sure. Even if the acetone doesn't work, don't get too excited, it doesn't work on all glues. The reversed and incuse lettering and devices are the clincher here, it shows that another coin was pressed into it.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There seems that there isn't any other examples given. Best of luck finding out more information regarding value.
I'm thinking that it might be worth while to contact Heritage Auctions to see if there has been another one, and if there's interest in putting it up for auction.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
The reverse imagery is the clue, as stated earlier, by I Cutler. A die strike would not show that way. I believe you can sell it AND retire, but only if you have a significant 401k or such. I hope I’m wrong. I’d love to see you have a top $ coin, but just can’t see it.

OP
OP
J

justmechillun

Tenderfoot
Apr 17, 2023
thanks to all that replied. I am coming to terms with the fact that my retirement may be delayed by about 20 years, the more I inspect the coin the more I believe i.cutler, galenrog, blackfoot and back of the boat are correct.

I am contemplating the investment in the acetone PLUS a container to pour it into and weighing my options. In the meantime, and related to the acetone, can acetone also be used on other types of coins to remove foreign material safely? If so how long is an appropriate bath for a coin?

Is there a too long bath time?

Many thanks to all...

Jg

OP
OP
J

justmechillun

Tenderfoot
Apr 17, 2023
Hello all,

Well coin gate is over. The coin reacted immediately with the acetone and the thin layer of epoxy floated off to reveal a beautiful 1974 nickel. Seeing as I am into this now for $6 plus the container, I now have a nickel worth approximately -$6.54 making this one of the least valuable nickles ever produced.

Seeing as it is now the least valuable nickel ever produced, anyone think there is a premium for that distinction? That does make it pretty rare.

And if it is worth something are we talking "retire immediately" type of value or more like "quit wasting our time posting obviously worthless nickels type of value?"

Thanks everyone for the advice, you gave me just enough pause to wait on my new boat and car and I am sure glad I did.

Good hunting everyone!

Jg

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dont feel alone here....same thing happened to me as a youngster. I had a Lincoln memorial penny with the same doubling effect. Held on to it for years until it flaked off on its own.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have all found THE coin that was going to make us millions so just keep showing us what you got but don't buy the boat or car until you show us THE winning coin first.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread