Please help! New DUES XP relic hunter with question

mfjohnson

Dec 24, 2006
Live in Franklin, TN, hunt in Nashville, Murfreesb
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero and Tigershark
I recently became the proud new owner of an XP and am excited to learn this machine. I live in middle Tennessee and have been searching civil war sites with a tesoro Vaquero for almost 9 years now. After reading up on the XP, it sounds like the perfect progression from the Vaquero. After using it for 10-15 hrs, I have a few questions.

First, I can't seem to get the dept as I can with the Vaquero (I must note that with the Vaquero, I hunt in the "threshold based all-metal" mode, looking for those deep, mellow targets. After I find a target, I flip to the "disc" mode to get a little more info). I have read many post regarding how to increase the dept (set reactivity to 0, lower frequency, lower disc, increase sensitivity and transmit power), but I can't get it to even match the vaquero. I have even played with the "gold field" setting it seems to be very temperamental. Any other ways to get more dept or to get it to run in a threshold based all-metal mode? Most of the sites i go to aren't too trashy but have deep civil war targets.

Second, It seems that most people use the XP for coin shooting. I could see how this could be a killer coin machine with it's speed/recovery. However, do many others relic hunt with it? I'm having difficulty finding a setting that would eliminate the tiny iron but would still hit on grape shot/case shot/canister shot.Any other advice?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Mike

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To help eliminate the tiny frags of iron AND for good depth

use the Deus Fast program

after you get used to it (25 hrs or so) - then play around with fine tuning the program

the 2 programs I use the most are 1: Deus Fast

and

2" Gold Maxx Power

and I tweak them as needed per site conditions

I've dug Large Cents at 12 to 13" in Deus Fast and small/tiny lead at 7 to 8" with no problem - dug a cuff button at 8" in a field mixed in iron last fall too

The higher freq. of Deus fast & GMP loves mid conductors (lead, brass, gold, etc.)

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The xp.is an awesome machine you made a great decisión on it ive had many machines brought them many many places i mainly relic hunt but do coin/jewlery hunt aswell I found it a very capable deep machine. I also thought the Same when I first got it it wasnt deep but soon as you start using it you'll come yo realize not only is it deep but it will uncover the goods buried in iron. Pm ur email ill send you a couple programs I still have on file that could possibly help ya. I do also highly recommend gettin Andy sabish's deus xp hand book theres alot of great info that will help you understand the options in how to optimize your settings. Good luck hh

colebear

Feb 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure to set the silencer as low as you can go and still remain stable, it makes a big difference in depth. Take time to tweak the ground balance to maximize, and don't be afraid to go 18khz at TX 3, I haven't tested it's depth but Andy says in his book that the 18khz can actually break through mineralization very well and punch a little deeper.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions