Please help newbie finds first large cent

Fast Ed

Jan 31, 2013
Scotia, ny
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Garrett AT Max, Garrett Pro Pointer, Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG I'm going whacko. Please forgive me but I'm really excited. How do I protect/clean my large cent. Found it today about 8" deep on a 1700's circa house site with AT Pro. I have it soaking in hot water and soap. Its really green and can't make out the date yet. What do I do? Olive oil???? I don't care if its not worth a million its my first and yaknow that's special.....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fast Ed

Fast Ed

Jan 31, 2013
Scotia, ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i would take it out of olive oil and use a hot peroxide bath, first remove all the oil, then use a small dish, fill one inch of hydrogen peroxide, microwave the perox- for half a min, then drop in the coin. after about 4 or 5 hours you can pick at the crust with a tooth pic, sounds like the thing is toast, so value isnt an issue. a peroxide bath can sometimes bring out a date, but it can also make it worse. if it was older? id say dont touch it. but it sounds like a common matron head largie.

I am donating it to the property owner for use in an open house.
Do you think I would be chancing a loss of whatever detail that can presently be seen by using peroxide? I can read one cent and see liberty in the hair with the naked eye so keeping present detail is a concern.

OP
OP
Fast Ed

Fast Ed

Jan 31, 2013
Scotia, ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
large cent front.JPG large cent rear.JPG Better late than never. Pretty crusty old girl :)

OP
OP
Fast Ed

Fast Ed

Jan 31, 2013
Scotia, ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes Testing - some more experienced MDers in my club said it was an 1837 although I still can't see a date. They, however saw a line or some other indication it was an 1837??
I'd say late 1830s... Nice coin!

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My theory is since it is copper due to superstition about witches they had uses other than as money. Here is my abused large cent ,which happens to be my oldest coin also.

1817 LG front.JPG Square nail through the eye! ON cleaning I no longer use olive oil believe it deteriorates and is less stable than canola oil, which is all I will ever soak and rub in now, if detail begins to flake off quit rubbing of course!

Last edited:

GTzer

Jan 24, 2013
DELCO, Pa
Detector(s) used
xTerra 705 & 6000 xl Pro,CZ 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Radical and exactly the opposite if you wish to preserve a coin for numismatic purposes- BUT unique & pretty successful IF the coin is in bad shape and you want to see the date or detail.
Copper-brass only: Keep the crust on the coin and let it dry- take some well worn 600 sand paper and work it in a circular motion until you get close to the detail. Then find or fashion a little sanding block that will fit in the date area (I use the end of a tapered eraser or a reed from a sax) Keep the dust on as you rub.
If you do this carefully you end up with the raised detail/date still green with patina and slightly polished and readable. Even the pits remain filled. Leave it the second you can see what you wanted to see and don't wash it.
I've got Liberty on the headband of toasted IH cents (the kind that the edge is too far gone and covered w thick crust) as well as the date. Used it on a few tokens and LC's that were toasted also. If it's NOT toasted don't do it.
I'll see if I can post some pics next time I do it.

OP
OP
Fast Ed

Fast Ed

Jan 31, 2013
Scotia, ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Radical and exactly the opposite if you wish to preserve a coin for numismatic purposes- BUT unique & pretty successful IF the coin is in bad shape and you want to see the date or detail.
Copper-brass only: Keep the crust on the coin and let it dry- take some well worn 600 sand paper and work it in a circular motion until you get close to the detail. Then find or fashion a little sanding block that will fit in the date area (I use the end of a tapered eraser or a reed from a sax) Keep the dust on as you rub.
If you do this carefully you end up with the raised detail/date still green with patina and slightly polished and readable. Even the pits remain filled. Leave it the second you can see what you wanted to see and don't wash it.
I've got Liberty on the headband of toasted IH cents (the kind that the edge is too far gone and covered w thick crust) as well as the date. Used it on a few tokens and LC's that were toasted also. If it's NOT toasted don't do it.
I'll see if I can post some pics next time I do it.

Well, since its not worth anything really and since I will be donating this to the owner of the farm for use during his open house tonight and it would be much better to be able to see some detail with the naked eye, I will give this 600 paper a try. Wish me luck. and thanks!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i would take it out of olive oil and use a hot peroxide bath, first remove all the oil, then use a small dish, fill one inch of hydrogen peroxide, microwave the perox- for half a min, then drop in the coin. after about 4 or 5 hours you can pick at the crust with a tooth pic, sounds like the thing is toast, so value isnt an issue. a peroxide bath can sometimes bring out a date, but it can also make it worse. if it was older? id say dont touch it. but it sounds like a common matron head largie.

Peroxide will work BEFORE olive oil, but not after.

The original poster should read Don in SJ's topic in the cleaning and preservation section of the forum about how to clean coppers. He should also read my section on how to clean buttons in the same section, since all I do to clean nickels and large cents is the toothpick method anymore. Works well. But once you go the water, peroxide, or olive oil method there is no turning back. Toothpick or dry brush will not work at that point.

-Buck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread