What's new

Please help with age of this crucifix!!!

testing123

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2009
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,986
Golden Thread
0
Location
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
Found this today at a field that's yielded objects dating from the 1700s to today. It appears to be copper and measures about 1 3/4" tall and 1 1/8" wide. It looks to be relatively crude so I'm thinking maybe 1800s? But I really don't know. This is the first piece of jewelry I found in this field.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
 

Attachments

  • uncleaned resized.webp
    uncleaned resized.webp
    24.6 KB · Views: 476
  • slightly cleaned resized.webp
    slightly cleaned resized.webp
    68.5 KB · Views: 493
  • slightly cleaned back resized.webp
    slightly cleaned back resized.webp
    63.8 KB · Views: 530
  • cross hole resized.webp
    cross hole resized.webp
    57.4 KB · Views: 556
  • cleaned closeup.webp
    cleaned closeup.webp
    96.4 KB · Views: 574
  • cleaned back.webp
    cleaned back.webp
    99.2 KB · Views: 569
You might check into finding out when the first Catholic Church was in the area as the Crucifix has Jesus on it and this is common for Catholic crosses. This might give you an earliest date of your item.

H_S
 
Upvote 0
Very very nice find and piece. A bit more cleaning perhaps we can see some more detail.
Irish Catholic, French or Italian design work I presume.
 
Upvote 0
Have you determined the material? In a couple of spots on the "cleaned" pics, it appears it may be brass?
 
Upvote 0
Roland58 said:
Have you determined the material? In a couple of spots on the "cleaned" pics, it appears it may be brass?

My initial thoughts are that it's copper, but I'm not 100% sure. The "patina" is beginning to flake so I'm a bit hesitant to clean it any more, in fear of damaging it any more. In one of the protected areas I do see a very small section of "gold" color, so maybe it really could be brass, or maybe have been gold plated at one time?
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Very difficult to date these. Here is a similar one but it is modern/new. I found it searching "openwork crucifix" on Google. Based on the size I think yours is from a rosary.

crucifix.webp

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom