Please help with search coil options

utaharcher

Aug 21, 2009
Hello, I have only been metal detecting a few months and have had pretty good success, but was wondering if a different coil would increase my odds. I currently have a Garrett GtaX 500 which I bought used but I am very pleased with it. I think it has since been replaced by the 550 but they are virtually the same machine. The coil I have is the 8.5 inch crossfire solid white coil. So what do you experts think my best options would be. Thanks very much.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That coil is a compromise between depth and getting into trashy area. Bigger coils can natch go deeper and cover more ground, but suck when two targets are under the coil at the same time. The best addition for you would be a smaller coil for sniper hunting between the junk. This small coil helps with pinpointing too. Best way to increase your odds is to overlap your sweeps by at least half and keep the coil level with the ground the whole time. :hello:

good luck,
Sandman

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
I think Sandman summed it up pretty well. A small sniper will probably be the best choice. It will allow you to get closer to metal objects, like when searching around play equipment or chain link fences. Don't let it's small size scare you....it gets pretty good depth!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread