What's new

Pliers?

jrwill56

Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2008
Messages
422
Reaction score
194
Golden Thread
0
Location
Chowan Co.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 2000
White mark 11
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
a friend found these in a field,anyone know what they were used for?
About 8" long,the tips are 1" flat and round.
 

Attachments

  • pliers 001.webp
    pliers 001.webp
    59.6 KB · Views: 750
  • pliers 002.webp
    pliers 002.webp
    46.2 KB · Views: 769
  • pliers 003.webp
    pliers 003.webp
    55.4 KB · Views: 728
Is the end of the item solid or cupped out.I don't see a hole where the lead would be poured in.
I would lean more to blacksmith tongs of some sort.
I don't think it is a bullet mold. :dontknow:

fortbball9
 
Upvote 0
Not exactly like the ones I have seen but they look like the pliers used to put rings in a hogs nose to keep them from rooting. You said he found them in a field so maybe...All the ones I have seen are more modern, I don't know what a vintage pair looks like. Google let me down when I searched for a pic.

HH Charlie
 
Upvote 0
fortbball9 said:
Is the end of the item solid or cupped out.I don't see a hole where the lead would be poured in.
I would lean more to blacksmith tongs of some sort.
I don't think it is a bullet mold. :dontknow:

fortbball9
ends not cupped ,compleatly flat and smooth.
 
Upvote 0
fortbball9 said:
Is the end of the item solid or cupped out.I don't see a hole where the lead would be poured in.
I would lean more to blacksmith tongs of some sort.
I don't think it is a bullet mold. :dontknow:

fortbball9
I think he was joking about bullet mold. bullet mold closeup.webp



Could it be a candle snuffer?
 

Attachments

  • bullet mold closeup.webp
    bullet mold closeup.webp
    41.8 KB · Views: 562
Upvote 0
Nice find, with some folk history attached. What you have is a hair straightener used by Black Folks many years ago. It was heated and drawn along the strands to take the waves out. Back in the Fifties a gentleman named Turner Kirkland, who was the founder of Dixie Gun Works, bought up a lot of these and had them machined into bullet moulds.
 
Upvote 0
Buck Bagaw said:
Nice find, with some folk history attached. What you have is a hair straightener used by Black Folks many years ago. It was heated and drawn along the strands to take the waves out. Back in the Fifties a gentleman named Turner Kirkland, who was the founder of Dixie Gun Works, bought up a lot of these and had them machined into bullet moulds.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090215161317AAW9Z1l

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=260363116334
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
Interesting Buck. Could mine be the same?
 

Attachments

  • bullet mold2 jpg.webp
    bullet mold2 jpg.webp
    4.3 KB · Views: 990
  • bullet mold.webp
    bullet mold.webp
    5 KB · Views: 921
  • bullet mold2 jpg.webp
    bullet mold2 jpg.webp
    4.3 KB · Views: 883
  • bullet mold.webp
    bullet mold.webp
    5 KB · Views: 855
Upvote 0
Buck Bagaw said:
Nice find, with some folk history attached. What you have is a hair straightener used by Black Folks many years ago. It was heated and drawn along the strands to take the waves out. Back in the Fifties a gentleman named Turner Kirkland, who was the founder of Dixie Gun Works, bought up a lot of these and had them machined into bullet moulds.

Correct. I still have one of those Dixie molds I bought in 1976, for my .67 caliber flintlock pistol. The handles are painted red.
 
Upvote 0
Bigcypress, Yours was made as a bullet mould as evidenced by the built in sprue cutter.
 
Upvote 0
Great ID.

I wish I knew what the square end was for, but I should try posting it again.
 
Upvote 0
Great ID Buck :thumbsup: I suspect you are going to become a familiar presence on the What is it? Forum ;D

BigCy, does it make sense if the block on the handle of your mold was for holding the mold in a vice?
Does it show any cross-hatch marks, as though from a vice?

Mike
 
Upvote 0
trikikiwi said:
Great ID Buck :thumbsup: I suspect you are going to become a familiar presence on the What is it? Forum ;D

BigCy, does it make sense if the block on the handle of your mold was for holding the mold in a vice?
Does it show any cross-hatch marks, as though from a vice?

Mike
 
Upvote 0
Buck Bagaw said:
Nice find, with some folk history attached. What you have is a hair straightener used by Black Folks many years ago. It was heated and drawn along the strands to take the waves out. Back in the Fifties a gentleman named Turner Kirkland, who was the founder of Dixie Gun Works, bought up a lot of these and had them machined into bullet moulds.
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED From a shipwreck
Replies
2
Views
451
Replies
2
Views
178

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom