Plucked a Gold Victorian Cameo Ring from the sand Sunday... (Updated more pics)

fir469

Dec 18, 2007
Picked up this beautiful 10K or 12K (tested under 14K) Victorian Era (1880-1920) Cameo ring from about 5" down in the shell mulch sand on Sunday. Best part was it was located right smack in the middle of 3 previously dug holes by another MD'er. He was moving way too fast for this trash laden beach and passed it up along with a ton of other targets. They key is to just slow down, sometimes way down, keep that coil flat and persevere... HH all!!

Added more pics as requested, including one of the beauty that stole it from me lol...

Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could it possibly be Cornelian shell from Italy? I have visited the cameo carving area near Naples Italy where they have been carving cameos for hundreds of years. Depending on the detail it could be an antique from that area.

http://www.cascosrl.it/en.antiquecameos.htm

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She is a bautiful piece ! Congrudulations on a truly banner worthy find ! Simply beautiful ! MaineRelic

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Re: Plucked a Gold Victorian Cameo Ring from the sand Sunday... (Updated more pi

fir469 said:
can't truly say enough how grateful I am for all your kind comments!! I'm gonna go see a few jewelers this weekend to get it appraised and possibly restored. I'm mainly a old coin and relic hunter but the frozen ground and snow has chased me to the beach recently. This is actually my first gold from the beach, so I'm thrilled it's a good one! I've found a ton of silver from the beaches but no gold. I guess i hafta thank old man winter for shutting down my normal hunting grounds!! Thanks again guys!!!

-Jason

Bastad! We can't wait till the weekend to find out more about this thing. GO TOMORROW! It's a great find man. There are several things on here that I have called the coolest things I have seen dug with a detector but no kidding, this has to be one of if not THE coolest thing(s) I've seen dug as a target. Completely jealous with my two feet of snow in smAlbany. So what do you think? Is it a dropped ring from some unlucky lady's vacation or did it come from a TOC shipwreck?

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, just like some others have said, they are both easy to look at.

Congratulations all the way around.

This is the best hobby in the world.

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice Ring .. congrats for the banner! :thumbsup:

Des from down under

Jun 26, 2009
taupo
Detector(s) used
garett 1500 gti and T2 ltd, garrett propointer
congratulations from n/z that is an amazing old find and in great nik ..looks great on your ladies finger too..well done on the banner

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner, wow... Congratulations !! :icon_thumleft: :headbang:

Makes me wonder dose it have any markings a makers mark maybe ?? :dontknow: If it predates 1906 then It likely won't be marked, but could be... :icon_scratch: That would be cool if you let me know of any marks.... :notworthy: Not calling out your find or anything, its my own personal hunger for knowledge of marks. :hello:

Again, congratulations !! :hello2:

Keep @ it and HH !! :laughing7:

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you may want to research the hieroglyphics aroundthe edge of your right to get a more precise date and value it looks like more value than we might think..HH good luck :icon_thumright:

U

umrgolf

Just wanted to say Thanks for posting this.. I liked it so much, I went out and bought a 14K gold pink cameo ring today for the gf :laughing9: :laughing9:

IMG_0053.JPG

chicepo

Jun 5, 2008
Calabash, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Ace 250/Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a great ring!! From the pics, to me it looks like the cameo may have been put into a ring that lost a stone. I am not a jeweler, I just think if the cameo was original there would be no gaps to let debris in around the setting. You can see grains of sand around the cameo. But what do I know??
I great find non the less.

Azman-1

Oct 4, 2006
fir469 said:
Thanks for the awesome comments guys!! And I can't say enough how much I appreciate the banner noms, I'd be thrilled to grace the banner!! It was odd how the color changed. On sunday when that pic was taken on the beach it was that bluish, grayish color and was when I got home as well. I took it back out of the drawer last night to take the new pics I posted and it was white!! I'm guessing maybe the stone was retaining moisture, minerals, or salt or all of the above and dried out overnight resulting in it's true color. It's a nice cream color with lines of bluish gray through it. The girlfriend loves it that's for sure! Thanks again guys!!

-Jason

I'd like to think that Beauty was asleep for a long time, and is now finally glad to be awake!!
Truly an awesome find. I'd cherish is forever!!

Stanl (MI)

Apr 29, 2009
S.E. Mich.
Detector(s) used
Whites: V3i, DFX, & XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! Beautiful Cameo.
Nicest find I have seen in a long time. :icon_thumright:
The ring etchings and Cameo look like they have a Greek influence.
Please let us know the outcome of the evaluation.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread