What's new

Plummet From Maine

Charl

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2012
Messages
3,091
Reaction score
4,794
Golden Thread
0
Location
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Made of steatite I believe. York Co., Maine. The hole is biconically drilled and the groove connects both ends of the hole. The auctioneer(Old Barn Auctions) listed it as an effigy plummet. I guess the hole could be an eye and the groove a mouth, maybe a sea bird like the extinct Great Auk. But, the hole and groove could just be functional. The hole insures it can be used as a weight and the groove would prevent wobble once tied off.
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    70.1 KB · Views: 155
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    296.1 KB · Views: 156
Upvote 0
I'm glad you posted this one. The one with 8 at the end. That has two meanings. I will tell you in private.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

You do realize the "8" you are referring to is just an inclusion in the stone. right?? It's not put there on purpose to have a meaning. SMH!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom