✅ SOLVED Plz Help Identify US Meyer New York Enamel Insignia Pin

vscience

Jun 23, 2012
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Help Identify US Meyer New York Enamel Pin. Not quite sure what this insignia is supposed to be. ??? 20210827_173209.jpg 20210827_173340.jpg

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe it is N S Meyer. They made a lot of pins

Upvote 0

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although I searched for NS Meyer and keywords like boat, ship, Navy, Coast Guard, and Merchant Marines, I didn't find a match. Another Tnetter probably has a catalog of these and will ID. Until then I think the pin is from the early 1930s as it is the only hallmark that lacks "INC." at the end of NS Meyer. From the website https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/16492-meyer-ns-meyer/

N.S. Meyer markings

In the 20’s : screwback, “N.S. MEYER, INC. NEW YORK” (raised), no shield

Early 30’s : screwback, “N.S. MEYER NEW YORK” + shield (engraved).

Mid 30’s to 1943 : screwback, “N.S. MEYER, INC. NEW YORK” + shield (engraved).

WWII : pinback, “N.S. MEYER, INC. NEW YORK” + shield (raised)

Late 40’s : Shield only (raised)

Late 40’s to early 50’s : “N.S. MEYER, INC. NEW YORK” + shield (raised and ? size)

Early 50’s : “N.S. MEYER, INC. N.Y.C” or “N.S. MEYER, INC. N.Y.?” + shield (raised)

Mid 50’s to Mid 60’s : “N.S. MEYER, INC NY” or “N.S. MEYER, INC NEW YORK” + Shield + 9M (raised).

Mid 60’s to mid 70’s : N.S. MEYER, INC. NEW YORK” + shield + 22M (raised)

Since mid 70’s : N.S. MEYER, INC. NEW YORK MADE IN USA” + shield + 22M (raised).

Source : Militaria magazine, issue 272, mars 2008, p. 43.

Upvote 0

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the link works, and it appears to be a match - even lacks the "INC." after NS Meyer.:hello2: Wonder about it being identified as WWII when the Militaria Magazine claims early 1930s. Bigger brains than mine will sort it out.

Upvote 0

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, the link works, and it appears to be a match - even lacks the "INC." after NS Meyer.:hello2: Wonder about it being identified as WWII when the Militaria Magazine claims early 1930s. Bigger brains than mine will sort it out.

The one that shows up as the 30s one in the list is a screw back version. Yours is a pin back version, although your Mfg information looks engraved. MAYBE yours was an early made shield that was still in their stocks that was made into a pin back version by the Mfg.

If needed (With your permission) I can cross post this to the US Militaria Forum (I'm a member there) and get a definitive date range for you. Oh and the unit was established in 1940 and disbanded in 1944, so that makes it a WWII era made DUI.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ffuries, I knew we could count on you to sort it out.:occasion14:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
V

vscience

Jun 23, 2012
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, definitely cross the info to the US Militaria Forum. Maybe someone there has something to add. Many thanks for the help. :icon_flower:

Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Great catch !!
This is a World War II distinctive insignia by N.S. Meyer for the United States Army 22nd Anti-Aircraft Artillery Air Watch. The 22nd AAA AW, previously the 22nd Coast Artillery Regiment, quartered at Camp Langdon in Portsmouth, New Hampshire. The DI shows the frigate Raleigh at its center, as does the Seal of the State of New Hampshire.
Don.....

Upvote 0

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, definitely cross the info to the US Militaria Forum. Maybe someone there has something to add. Many thanks for the help. :icon_flower:

I've got a message out to the moderators of the US Militaria forum, they updated their security protocols and the site is lagging on updating my profile.

I thought about your DUI last night. What I think is going on is, there were shield blanks from an earlier run that were still in stock. So they used up existing stock when filling orders. So while the blank itself dates to the early 40s at the latest, they used the newer pinback system on it. Which makes sense, a war was going on, so nothing was wasted.

So there is a box of blanks (The blanks are a mixture of new made on top and previously made ones on the bottom) and the worker reaches in grabs one, does their part on it and down the line it goes. Eventually they reach the bottom and the old stock ones are used, and updated features (Pinback aka bar pin versus screwback) added to it.

I've seen this in other applications over the years. Our stainless steel knives had a divot in the blade, where there was pin installed for ease of opening the blade. Change 1 deleted the pin, but they continued to use the blades with the hole for the pin until they depleted the stock, and then started making blades without the hole for the pin. If they had just thrown the blades away that would have been a waste of money, as the blades were still considered serviceable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread