What's new

PNW native carved canoe....help?

highnam

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2012
Messages
1,624
Reaction score
1,710
Golden Thread
0
Location
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.webpimage.webpimage.webpMy brother bought this 2.5' long canoe for my birthday in Seattle, at the "Ye old curiousity shop" (shop in Seattle open since 1899).
The shop is a mix of everything old and new, replicas and authentic, but has always had a lot of PMW related carvings, etc...apparently this canoe was upstairs in storage for at least a few years and then recently brought down into the shop. My brother said it had no price tag yet, and I pried him to tell me what he paid...$350. I love this piece, even if it's a finely carved replica...enjoyed learning about these canoes. Anyone have an opinion on age, carver, tribe, worth? Thanks so much.
 
Upvote 0
Good question should have mentioned no sign of carver name or painter...have seen in research that the carver/painter are not always the same person. I saw a picture of a Haida carved model from late 1800's-early 1900's that looked similar to mine...mine could be Haida carved with inspiration from this authentic model....image.webp
 
The 1st thing that jumps out at me is the colors. Yours are bright and no flaws in sight, when the one you showed the photo of that you found online are worn and more earth tone colors. It's a nice piece either way.:icon_thumleft:
 
Most likely not an authentic Native canoe but i think $350.00 is a good price. Some of These were actually made as toys for kids back in the day. One model was over 2 feet long so that's a possibility.
There's also artists today selling this same style canoe and charging thousands of dollars for their work. Awesome gift and I hope you can pin point where it originated from.
 
I agree with the coloring being crisp and not aged, I also think this model is not as streamlined in length and bulky in width, but the more I look at it the more I like it.
 
Most likely not an authentic Native canoe but i think $350.00 is a good price. Some of These were actually made as toys for kids back in the day. One model was over 2 feet long so that's a possibility.
There's also artists today selling this same style canoe and charging thousands of dollars for their work. Awesome gift and I hope you can pin point where it originated from.
I coming to think this piece was Haida inspired replica, but a great example perfect for a non-serious collector, I put my deer toe rattles in the canoe and now it's one of a kind!image.webp
 
I coming to think this piece was Haida inspired replica, but a great example perfect for a non-serious collector, I put my deer toe rattles in the canoe and now it's one of a kind!View attachment 1385565

Oh without a doubt this is an awesome piece! I would proudly show it off in my home. Looks great with rattles. Any chance you have a fireplace that it can be mounted on or hung somewhere with cables?
Are you 100% sure that there's no info on it though. I would break out the magnifying glass and some good lighting and look one more time. It would be worth the effort if you haven't done so already. Cool piece and cool Brother!!!
 
those things come out of BC, mostly Vancouver island and the islands north and the adjacent mainland. They are native made, new and it would be unusual for it not to be signed in pencil some place.

Send a picture to http://www.hills.ca/Hill-s-Native-Art-Gallery-Vancouver-18.html ...they will set you up, may even be able to tell you who made it.
 
those things come out of BC, mostly Vancouver island and the islands north and the adjacent mainland. They are native made, new and it would be unusual for it not to be signed in pencil some place.

Send a picture to http://www.hills.ca/Hill-s-Native-Art-Gallery-Vancouver-18.html ...they will set you up, may even be able to tell you who made it.
Awesome! Thank you! As Mrdigz suggested I scanned the canoe with a magnifying glass and still no trace...if the signature was in pencil then it could have washed off...there is evidence this canoe was put in water (definately watermarks at the waterline of the canoe) I will send pics to the attached site and see what becomes...thanks!
 
Good Luck, hope you get good news!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom