Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got permission to hunt a home site where the home was built in 1780. I was advised owner was a hoarder. Got there and realized it wasn't going to be good. They had taken 10 dumpsters worth of trash out of the yard. Did give it some effort to weed through the trash signals which were everywhere and found a few clad. Figured my only hope was the woods, most of which was very steep and could never have been cultivated. Headed up one hill and saw a sign in the woods. When I got closer I saw there was a small cemetery with about 10 stones dating from 1876-1926. I noticed behind this cemetery hidden in the woods was a small flat area someone could have spread out a blanket for a picnic or just relax. They did that many years ago when they visited deceased relatives. Hunted this area for a while and only got one good signal and it was really solid and showing 5". A few days earlier I got a signal like this in the woods and figured it was either a silver quarter or large cent. It was a CT copper. I figured the same thing this time and was tempted to get out my phone and try and video the dig, but I didn't. Sure enough, silver quarter and when I rechecked the hole I came up with a Merc and buffalo. You just never know.

While I was at this place I also tried the woods on the other side of the house and came up with this Excelsior button. Back says extra quality. Anyone have any info on this?

pocket dump 8-1-14 obv.jpg
pocket dump 8-1-14 rev.jpg
20140801_171412 pocket dump.jpg
20140802_071728 button.jpg
20140802_071734 button.jpg

Upvote 13

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt and finds, I'm not sure I understand about the yard, I guess he was hording everything was stored in the yard? Might take a long time, with a little coil, but weed out the trash to find the treasure. GL

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a very nice pocket spill - I'd spend some time around there ! Early SLQ's with a date are a tough find .

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
sweet finds

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sweet digs!, I hate when a spot has "the look" and ends up being an iron infested wasteland, looks like you improvised and snatched up some loot!

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your brass 3-piece button (see chart showing 1-piece, 2-piece, and 3-piece button forms, below) is a New York State Militia Officer button. The "Excelsior" on it is that state's motto. That specific version of NY Militia button was in service from the 1850s through about 1900. Button-backmarks saying nothing but "Extra Quality" has existed ever since about 1800 (and is still in use today), so that backmark can be extremely difficult to time-date. However, your brass 3-piece NY State Militia Officer button has the narrow version of flat rim around it, so you it dates from 1850 into the 1870s. The narrow, wide, and extra-wide versions of rim on them is shown in the scan below.)

Attachments

• Buttons_TYPES_1piece-2piece-3piece_Albert-book)TN.jpg
    Buttons_TYPES_1piece-2piece-3piece_Albert-book)TN.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 86
  • button_NY-State-Militia_TIME-DATING_3piece_staff_RimSizes.jpg
    button_NY-State-Militia_TIME-DATING_3piece_staff_RimSizes.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs. Thanks for the pics

OP
OP
doninbrewster

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your brass 3-piece button (see chart showing 1-piece, 2-piece, and 3-piece button forms, below) is a New York State Militia Officer button. The "Excelsior" on it is that state's motto. That specific version of NY Militia button was in service from the 1850s through about 1900. A button-backmark saying nothing but "Extra Quality" has been in ever since about 1800 (and is still in use today), so that backmark can be extremely difficult to time-date. However, your brass 3-piece NY State Militia Officer button has the narrow version of flat rim around it, so you it dates from 1850 into the 1870s. The narrow, wide, and extra-wide versions of rim on them is shown in the scan below.)

Thanks for your help on this. I figured it had something to do with NY because of the excelsior, but had no idea what. One of these days I have to get a copy of Albert's book. Thanks again.

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Wow! Nice finds! :occasion18::blob9::occasion18: Keep returning to that site despite the problems with it. Hoarders tended to hide money not only within their houses but also near fence posts, so try to figure out where fences & cross-fences used to be. Even a small property probably had some animal pens either fenced or walled in with stones. My son dug his oldest coin, a lovely 1848 silver dime, within a couple feet of a fence-line & I dug an old silver & seed rosary very close to that same fence! It was a short remnant of a farm fence with just a few decaying posts left and was right next to modern shopping center. Have fun! :cat: Andi

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some very nice finds. Congratulations. Love that button a lot!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread