✅ SOLVED Pocketknife experts?

USNFLYR

Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found some items at my usual stomping grounds (fish camps/wharf/native trading area). Along with a harmonica reed plate (key of C?), petrified bone and possible fur trade item I found pocketknives. I broke off rust and corrosion from one, and discovered that the blade was broken (in half). The other one I left alone as it has a rotting wooden handle. Does any forum member know the makers/age. I know if I pull the blades out I might find makers info stamped in the steel…but I won’t do that. Thanks for any and everything.
3CD35FE8-E03C-43E1-9647-EE36E3CA76A5.jpeg
4787257D-8593-431C-9E8F-A1C39433C466.jpeg
16732E4E-5567-44B5-A922-F895765042E9.jpeg
551114AE-63DC-4ED7-941D-5F3DE6511677.jpeg

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
You could look around at some Imperial brand knife badges.
Then if you think any are similar enough work on the age of your piece.
Imperial was making watches in 1916.
Imperial is alleged to be based om /around the Empire Knife Company in Imperial knives beginnings.

A deeper dive might find Empire knives with the same badge as your recovery. (?)

R.2d94a7eb140460eb069e9a9af7ad655a

Upvote 8

callmez

May 25, 2014
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Both of your knives have what is called a crest or federal style shield, which was the most common type in use here in 20th century America. EVERY company had one or more variations of it, and the differences are very subtle. So from a true ID we are looking for subtle clues.

The top knife is what we call a "regular jack" pattern, probably the most common pocketknife style of all time. Crest shield is short and indistinct. Wood handles tell us little. This knife could be any of many different American manufacturers, my ballpark time frame would be circa 1910-1940.

The lower knife is what we call a "serpentine jack" pattern and the crest shield is large and long. The handles appear to be a swirl celluloid. While also a standard pattern that was common among American manufacturers during the 20th century, with this knife you have a combination of features that might point you to the Imperial knife Co. of Providence, RI (mentioned above by relevantchair). A) Imperial often used a long crest shield like this with two 'scoops' from the top end, B) Imperial rarely used any material other than celluloid up into the 1950s, and C) Imperial made tons of this particular pattern, the serpentine jack. I wouldn't stake my life on it, but your lower knife was probably made by Imperial c.1920-1950.

Upvote 6
OP
OP
U

USNFLYR

Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both of your knives have what is called a crest or federal style shield, which was the most common type in use here in 20th century America. EVERY company had one or more variations of it, and the differences are very subtle. So from a true ID we are looking for subtle clues.

The top knife is what we call a "regular jack" pattern, probably the most common pocketknife style of all time. Crest shield is short and indistinct. Wood handles tell us little. This knife could be any of many different American manufacturers, my ballpark time frame would be circa 1910-1940.

The lower knife is what we call a "serpentine jack" pattern and the crest shield is large and long. The handles appear to be a swirl celluloid. While also a standard pattern that was common among American manufacturers during the 20th century, with this knife you have a combination of features that might point you to the Imperial knife Co. of Providence, RI (mentioned above by relevantchair). A) Imperial often used a long crest shield like this with two 'scoops' from the top end, B) Imperial rarely used any material other than celluloid up into the 1950s, and C) Imperial made tons of this particular pattern, the serpentine jack. I wouldn't stake my life on it, but your lower knife was probably made by Imperial c.1920-1950.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
U

USNFLYR

Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Callmez…. That’s great! Excellent info. I’ll keep these two and not throw them in a trash bin.

Upvote 0

callmez

May 25, 2014
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Callmez…. That’s great! Excellent info. I’ll keep these two and not throw them in a trash bin.
You're very welcome. Often American made pocketknives in relic condition offer up small clues that can point you in a direction. Then too, sometimes they don't! I have found several old pocketknives over the years, but never anything really old or special. I've collected, bought, sold, traded, researched, and/or written about old knives for most of my life, it's what I do.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread