What's new

Point identification needed.

A. Grignon

Full Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2007
Messages
176
Reaction score
14
Golden Thread
0
Location
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT & Whites Beachhunter
Found this point on Sunday and I'm not that great at identifying points. Seems to be very well made and only missing the one little tip of the tang or ear or whatever you guys call them. lol

Lets hear some ideas on type and value. thanks in advance. :)

Also 4 more found at the same spot.
 

Attachments

  • DSC03793.webp
    DSC03793.webp
    66.9 KB · Views: 428
  • DSC03794.webp
    DSC03794.webp
    68.3 KB · Views: 417
  • DSC03795.webp
    DSC03795.webp
    28.2 KB · Views: 415
  • DSC03797.webp
    DSC03797.webp
    62.9 KB · Views: 411
Upvote 0
Beautiful piece!

I see some traits that look Archaic, but my guess is that it is a Woodland era Norton point (related to the Snyder Cluster.) That said, I'm not an expert on your area so it's just a guess based on some examples I've handled from Michigan.

Joshua
 
a true work of art to say the least!!
I love it but I don't know the type
I will try to find out
lars
 
I would agree with Joshua that it's probably woodland and probably hopewell. The large rounded shape notches and barbed points on the base all look reminiscent of a Gibson point. That is a really nice find.

Hippy
 
Yeap, I think its a classic Gibson point. a darn nice one at that....John
 
I agree that it looks like a a Hopewell type of the Snyders cluster and more than likely a Gibson.

Very nice point.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom