Poison Ivy

A

Arkansasdigger

I live in Arkansas and LOVE to metal detect for relics. I have doing this now for about three years. I am finding though that I spend one afternoon metal detecting and then a week getting over poison ivy. I watch for it and avoid it if spotted, but it always seems to find me. Any suggestions on how to deal with it and still be able to go metal detecting? :-\

axehead

Feb 24, 2007
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
try a lightwieght shirt with long sleeves, usually works for me. I have also used a product from coretex products, seems to help on hands fairly well. good luck

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
there is a product called ivy block that you can get at the drug store. it is almost like sunscreen for poison ivy. it works pretty well.

OP
OP
A

Arkansasdigger

Thank you guys so much! I will definately go out and buy some of that stuff and give it a whirl! Thanks again! :D

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
Haha was thinking about this just today as I sit here and scratch my ear. Learned the hard way not to set my headphones down on the ground.

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also carry some of that stuff you wash your hands with..the one that dries up real fast...if you touch it by mistake..wash your skin ASAP...Helps until you can get a shower. Hmmm..and be sure not to "squat and dig" over it..lol I learned too..lol HH

Bodyguard

Mar 11, 2007
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
BH Sharpshooter II
I usually don't get poison ivy, but I was told that this trick works (if you don't have fairly sensitive skin). Lather up really good with soap, and wipe it off, but don't rinse. The soap will clog your pores, and keep the oils from penetrating too far into the skin. Also the fatty acids in the soap, help neutralize the alkalis in the plant. Never had to try it, but an old farmer I knew said it works.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
One time, I got poison ivy so bad, that my waist to my knees was the only "safe zone" and I couldn't put my fingers together because of the blisters. I opened up the blisters with sandpaper and then stuck them in bleach water. That hurt like the dickens, but the next day, it was all dried up. Rubbing alcohol and bleach is all that I use to treat poison ivy, but I may have to try a few of the tips that are listed here. Hope it helps.

Lafitte

Apr 20, 2007
Western NC
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 Sore Legs
If you've got jewel weed in your area, split the stem (be careful of the tiny thorns) and rub the sap on infected areas.
It's an old-time cure, but it really works great.
(Sorry, I don't know the scientific name for jewel weed)

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See your family physician. There is an immunity shot you can get ahead of time and it will cut way down on the possibility if getting it. Not 100%, but it cuts your chances by about 80%. Monty

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
Every spring this topic comes up... here's the skinny

1 out of every 4 people is allergic to urishiol. that's the oil that gives you the rash. If you are one of the 3 lucky people... you have a 95% chance of developing the allergy. So, even if you think you aren't, or someone says that they aren't allergic, take some precautions and try not to get it.

I will reccommend the block that was already mentioned. The best one I've found is by a company called tecnu. They also make a cleanser that will remove the oil from your skin if you do come in contact with the pland (pic is attached). It works for poison oak, ivy, and sumac.

As someone who IS allergic, I have used both the blocker and cleanser and have a supply in my medicine cabinet. But the easiest way is to figure out what it looks like it... and avoid it like the plague

Attachments

• tecnu1.gif
    tecnu1.gif
    36.8 KB · Views: 334

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Ironically, as I am reading this my forearms are COVERED with poison ivy. I remember the old saying "leaves of three, beware", but this time of year in the Northeast is particularly bad; the plants have not yet budded, so there are no leaves. I caught it from the bare stems!!!! Apparently (so I have learned) this time of year the bare stems are more potent than the leaves later in the year. The roots are bad too!!!

Stay away!

Attachments

• poison ivy.jpg
    poison ivy.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 338

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lafitte said:
If you've got jewel weed in your area, split the stem (be careful of the tiny thorns) and rub the sap on infected areas.
It's an old-time cure, but it really works great.
(Sorry, I don't know the scientific name for jewel weed)

I concur with that remedy. Jewel weed - [Impatiens capensis] aka touch-me-not, impatiens and (incorrectly) snap dragon. All except one part. Crush the plant and blot once, then discard that bunch. Rubbing will spread the ivy oils.

jwplant.jpg

Jewel weed grows all along our creek - as does poison ivy. ;) Beautiful yellow/orange flowers that look like little orchids and seed pods that "pop" when you touch them.

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm a native Californian who was metal detecting in Pennsylvania a couple of
years ago and got poison ivy on my legs. Used a product called "Ivy Dry", worked great.
Here in California we have poison oak, and between the two poison oak is a 100 time worse!

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember, some folks who are highly allergic can catch it without actually touching it. I have a friend who can just walk down wind of it and he will break out. He once got downwind of a pile of burning brush that had poison ivey in it and it broke him out from head to toe. He take the shots every spring and has to be careful to stay away from it but rarely gets it now. I am lucky I guess as I have never had it although I have been exposed many times. I don't know if I am immune, but I think there is a difference in being allergic to it and the resin actually making contact with your skin. I avoid it the best I can even though I've never had it. I've heard that you can lose your "immunity" and become allergic to it at any time and I'm not taking a chance. Monty

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
It's true monty... you can lose your immunity. About 3 years ago, I was talking to my neighbor over the fence, and he was standing next to a small tree that had a poison ivy vine growing up it. I pointed it out and he told me he was immune, never got it, blah blah blah.

So I pointed out the facts I posted earlier... 1 in 4 are allergic, 95% of all people will develop the alergy at some point, etc. I don't know what possessed him... probably just being a smart ass... but he plucked off a leaf and proceeded to rub it all over his forearm (Big Dumb@ss), all the while telling me he didn't catch it. I didn't see him for a few days, and when I did (4 days later)... one of his arms (the one he rubbed the leaf on), and his hand (the one he plucked the leaf with) were wrapped in gauze. Apparently, the doctor at the hospital said he had a severe reaction to poison ivy, and had to give him some steriod shots to control the swelling and rash.

I decided that I didn't need to tell him that I was right...

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
All that is true, Monty, and I'd like to add if you are allergic you can get it from tools, lawn mowers. boots, gloves, metal detectors, etc. that have been exposed to the oil from the plants of P.Ivy, p.Oak, and P. Sumac. I have experienced all and a few years ago I was sent on a job in central Cal. Sonoma Co. Mike is right on. That Poison Oak grows in thickets and climbs trees. I had to walk through it daily but beat it by wearing highboots with pant cuffs duct taped to them, same with shirt and leather gloves. After work I spread an opened plastic lawn bag on floor, stepped in and carefully undressed, wearing surgical gloves. I then secured the bag and started out the next day with fresh clothes. Seems extreme, maybe, but one so-called immune feller had it breakout in his face and was off work for two weeks. Be careful ot there boys and girls.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
what i was able to find out about the evil ivy is that everyone is immune to it at birth. after coming into contact with it a few times during your lifetime,most people become allergic to it. most who say they are immune have probably just not had enough contact with it to cause a rash.....yet. this is why so many people believe they will never get it, and then one day get it baaad. ask jeff. he`ll tell you. ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions