david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the title makes any sense to you, please admit yourself to the nearest psych ward. Anyway, ran errands this morning, was bound and determined to get out and hunt. Ever since I counted my silver coin finds back in late October and discovered I was at 17, I had set a goal for 25 for this year. Was really wanting that last one today. Started out at a park grabbing a little clad, then headed over to a neighboring county and went to their courthouse. Spent about 3 hours there. Grabbed a little clad and a 1887 IHC. This wasn't quite doing it for me, and was starting to work my way back to the car, when the po-po shows up. Tells me somebody had called in about somebody digging holes in the courthouse lawn. Confirmed that, told him I was mostly probing though. He was a city cop sent out because the deputies were all busy, all they asked him to do was take my name and number in case of property damage. I wasn't asked to leave, although he suggested that doing a lot of digging probably wasn't a good thing. I was ready to go anyway, and the rain was starting.

Headed back home, but was unhappy to not have got my silver coin, hit a park. This park has given up Indians and wheats, but I had never pulled a old nickel or a silver coin yet. I just thought this was the day. Dug a few pennies, including a toasty wheat, then hit a bank near the road. Rain pouring down, digging the tiny sounds. Another wheat, and then a tiny sound popped a nickel from about 8 inches. Knew it was a war nickel immediately, nicest one I've ever found. Kept moving and then found a 1882 Indian. Another little sound and got the bracelet. 1912 V Nickel a bit later. Also found the toy pistol, believe I have the barrel for it in one of my "too be cleaned cans".Time to go, I was muddy and wet.

Was when I was cleaning things up I reached the dilemma, my scorecard is on silver coins, but when I started to clean the bracelet, notice it was made out of Great Britain 3 Pence. 9 of them linked, 4 sterling, 5 are .500. So do I just get to count the War Nic? Or can I count each of the 3 Pence each? Seems kind of like cheating to do that, I mean, its jewelry now. LOL

DSCF1338.JPGDSCF1339.JPGDSCF1340.JPGDSCF1341.JPGDSCF1342.JPGDSCF1343.JPGDSCF1344.JPGDSCF1345.JPG

Upvote 19
Do this......just count the nickel for now, then tear it up till next Wed evening. See where you stand by then, that way you will have either met, or exceeded your silver goal, if you need to count the bracelet "coins" on a technicality.

Nice finds thanks for sharing. Sorry to hear about your runin with the law. Sure am glad they are out there protecting us from all those dangerous detectorists :laughing7:.

haha, the WTN counts, but unfortunately the coins were repurposed for a bracelet, and don't count. Still adds to your silver jewelry count though!

Do this......just count the nickel for now, then tear it up till next Wed evening. See where you stand by then, that way you will have either met, or exceeded your silver goal, if you need to count the bracelet "coins" on a technicality.

Well, the nickel made my goal, so I guess it doesn't matter. That's just the crap that went through my mind when I was looking it over.

Nice finds thanks for sharing. Sorry to hear about your runin with the law. Sure am glad they are out there protecting us from all those dangerous detectorists :laughing7:.

Well, he was just responding to a citizen complaint, and that would be who irritates me. The cop was friendly and professional, talked to him a bit, including about any places that might be good to detect. The caller is just a busybody who needs to get a life though.

nice haul for the day

Of course the coins count! If you'd found a pocket spill or change purse with coins they'd count.

Nice finds!

Giving your name for any property damage? If they find some how will they prove it was your hole?
Ya see, that's why I ALWAYS wear gloves! No fingerprints in any of my plugs! LOL

WTG!

Coins on the bracelet count...they are silver coins and you found them...why wouldn't they count toward your silver coin count? That bracelet is an outstanding find...congrats.

Last edited:
haha, the WTN counts, but unfortunately the coins were repurposed for a bracelet, and don't count. Still adds to your silver jewelry count though!
So because they were made into a bracelet they aren't coins anymore? :icon_scratch:

So because they were made into a bracelet they aren't coins anymore? :icon_scratch:

Essentially, yes. They were lost as jewelry, not coins, and are still being used as jewelry. Similar to saying he found 15 pieces of silver if you take apart the bracelet into coins, clasp, links, etc. That's not really accurate.

There's no right or wrong answer to whatever he does, but wanted to throw out another opinion. If he wants them classified as silver coins, no one here will take him to Judge Judy!

Still a good day no matter what!

Interesting dilemma on the silver count - its your count & your rules. But here is a little insight to British Law. 1 Roman Silver coin is not Treasure, but 1 silver Roman Coin with 1 hole in it is treasure. They say its been taken out of circulation, like your bracelet & used as jewelry or an object which then makes its declarable under the Act. I only learnt this recently & was pretty surprised, to me a coin with a hole is just that, if it had a loop attached or a fixing on the back I would agree its transformed into a pendant or a brooch. Anyway, its a very good find & it does have a slight Christmas connection. My Nan & many others would place a 3 pence or 6 pence in the Xmas Pudding, the person who nearly choked on it, keep it as their prize.

Interesting dilemma on the silver count - its your count & your rules. But here is a little insight to British Law. 1 Roman Silver coin is not Treasure, but 1 silver Roman Coin with 1 hole in it is treasure. They say its been taken out of circulation, like your bracelet & used as jewelry or an object which then makes its declarable under the Act. I only learnt this recently & was pretty surprised, to me a coin with a hole is just that, if it had a loop attached or a fixing on the back I would agree its transformed into a pendant or a brooch. Anyway, its a very good find & it does have a slight Christmas connection. My Nan & many others would place a 3 pence or 6 pence in the Xmas Pudding, the person who nearly choked on it, keep it as their prize.

Funny the crap elected officials can dream up, huh? Apparently, none of them were knowledgeable enough to know that putting a hole in it detracts from the value. To those of us who find it, its still a treasure.

Nice finds,There are numbskulls out there that always have to complain about something.If you where not told to leave by the law, I would not let it hold me back,just take your time and plug it pretty.HH-Happy New Year!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back