Poor Pewter(?) flat button found on the riverbank.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got to a local riverbank today and managed to find my second button ever, which may be pewter. Not any kind of fantastic find but one I'm keen to lear more about if possible.

There is a fort nearby that dates to the 1839-1842 range (Second Seminole War) but I'm pretty sure the button isn't military related.
Sept24-2023-PewterFlatButton-Top-1-VNICE.JPG

There is a fancy, flowing script capital "T" (I think) with a "star within an oval circle" below. The back is toast but there is a remnant of a broken loop.

I'm not very familiar with fancy script and was hoping someone here can confirm the "T" as well as whether the "star within an oval circle" helps in any way.

(I've also included a sketch I made showing the overall design as best I can see in hand.)
The last image is what I think is upside down but the star seems to be aligned properly.

Attachments

• Sept24-2023-PewterFlatButton-Back-1.JPG
    Sept24-2023-PewterFlatButton-Back-1.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Pewter_T-ButtonDrawing-3.pdf
    196.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Sept24-2023-PewterFlatButton-Top-2-ok.JPG
    Sept24-2023-PewterFlatButton-Top-2-ok.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 17
Upvote 17
OP
OP
PetesPockets55

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
War 1812 infantry button .. Instead of a regiment number you have a star ... Nice find
I did find out in my research that Fort Pirce was briefly the initial gathering point for General Jessup to lead the campaign for the Second Seminole War. There were over 1000 troops. 600 of which were Alabama and Tennessee volunteers.
Link to Tennesse volunteers from the War of 1812 to the Seminole wars - https://sharetngov.tnsosfiles.com/tsla/exhibits/veterans/1812.htm
So if that Star signifies the war of 1812, maybe it was from a Tennesse volunteer!
Any chance you have a link to any images?

OP
OP
PetesPockets55

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice button. Have you seen the video of Nugget Noggin detecting the house at the end of Chamberlain Blvd across the street from the marker? They make some nice finds.
Nope. It would be neat to see.

This one was found at the other end of Ft. Pierce.
I thought of detecting there a couple of years ago but shied away when I couldn't find any place to park.

OP
OP
PetesPockets55

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, exactly. No prob. Just google Script I 1812 button. You will see some similar examples.
Thanks.
I did and images and more info did pop up.

Thanks so much, everyone.
This outcome was much better than I expected. I imagined the best I was going to do was get clarification on the letter. I convinced myself it was just someone's Initial. LOL

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got to a local riverbank today and managed to find my second button ever, which may be pewter. Not any kind of fantastic find but one I'm keen to lear more about if possible.

There is a fort nearby that dates to the 1839-1842 range (Second Seminole War) but I'm pretty sure the button isn't military related. View attachment 2106719
There is a fancy, flowing script capital "T" (I think) with a "star within an oval circle" below. The back is toast but there is a remnant of a broken loop.

I'm not very familiar with fancy script and was hoping someone here can confirm the "T" as well as whether the "star within an oval circle" helps in any way.

(I've also included a sketch I made showing the overall design as best I can see in hand.)
The last image is what I think is upside down but the star seems to be aligned properly.
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Kona Koma

Bronze Member
Nov 13, 2017
On the Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There is a fort nearby that dates to the 1839-1842 range (Second Seminole War) but I'm pretty sure the button isn't military related. View attachment 2106719

It sure looks old. Nice find.

OP
OP
PetesPockets55

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again everyone. I'm very grateful for this find but it kind of boggles my mind.
I'm trying to wrap my head around how this button ended up in south central Florida 36 years after the War of 1812. I can't imagine infantry soldiers that were issued coats in 1812 were still in the service in 1838 when the fort was built.

There was a natural freshwater spring in the area that one source stated was visited by sailors. Maybe that explains it being here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Fort_Pierce_Park

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again everyone. I'm very grateful for this find but it kind of boggles my mind.
I'm trying to wrap my head around how this button ended up in south central Florida 36 years after the War of 1812. I can't imagine infantry soldiers that were issued coats in 1812 were still in the service in 1838 when the fort was built.

There was a natural freshwater spring in the area that one source stated was visited by sailors. Maybe that explains it being here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Fort_Pierce_Park

You'd be surprised, I have found many military buttons at regular old homesites with no connection to any wars.

I will quote something that @BuckleBoy wrote in response to one of my posts a number of years ago:

"I'll tell you the reason so many military items were dropped/discarded at old house sites... "military" and "civilian" were lines that were especially blurry in the 19th century and earlier, especially in the years before and including the Civil War. Most civilians were required to participate in local militias, and thus many had military uniforms with militia buttons, etc. on them. Every ordinary citizen owned a gun and its accoutrements (powder flasks, gun tools, etc.). Uniforms were functional, and in many cases they were the warmest article of clothing people had. Inevitably they were worn until they were worn out, and then discarded in trash pits."

OP
OP
PetesPockets55

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'd be surprised, I have found many military buttons at regular old homesites with no connection to any wars.

I will quote something that @BuckleBoy wrote in response to one of my posts a number of years ago:

"I'll tell you the reason so many military items were dropped/discarded at old house sites... "military" and "civilian" were lines that were especially blurry in the 19th century and earlier, especially in the years before and including the Civil War. Most civilians were required to participate in local militias, and thus many had military uniforms with militia buttons, etc. on them. Every ordinary citizen owned a gun and its accoutrements (powder flasks, gun tools, etc.). Uniforms were functional, and in many cases they were the warmest article of clothing people had. Inevitably they were worn until they were worn out, and then discarded in trash pits."

. This should get you to the video I mentioned.

Thanks so much for the link to the video. They had a great day, especially for this part of Florida.
(It's odd that the link shows up when I quote your link on my pc but not with the original post. "How bizarre!" as the song says. LOL)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread