Porphyry celt

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
This 6 3/4 inch Porphyry celt has slight ancient damage to the bit, but no other major damage and no plow strikes was obtained from the collection of Mr. Ed Wilson on Jan 25 2013. There is good patina on surface and some hammer peck marks still visible on the body.

Mr. Wilson, life long resident of Putnam County Indiana, was a relic collector for over 70 years and a member of the Central States Archaeological Societies Indiana Society.

20130629_210234.jpg

Upvote 19

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice...

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This 6 3/4 inch Porphyry celt has slight ancient damage to the bit, but no other major damage and no plow strikes was obtained from the collection of Mr. Ed Wilson on Jan 25 2013. There is good patina on surface and some hammer peck marks still visible on the body.

Mr. Wilson, life long resident of Putnam County Indiana, was a relic collector for over 70 years and a member of the Central States Archaeological Societies Indiana Society.

View attachment 2122698
Can we see a veiw fro the bit end

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Porphyry comes right out of a volcano. As the magma column starts rising the white feldspar crystals, called phenocrysts, start forming first. Once the magma is ejected it cools quickly. Fast cooling means smaller crystals form. Fine grained rock is much better for tools. The phenocrysts don’t seem to affect the strength of the rock and I think the Indians like the spotted rock.

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
I missed this one. What a beautiful piece of art it is. I once yakked a creek that had that type of rock in it. I looked but never found an artifact made from that type of stone. It’s now has houses all over it and I will never be able to go back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread