Possibilty"s ? Union troops bury Confederate bullion & coin close to Galisteo

ghostdog

Apr 22, 2007
Possibilty"s ? Union troops bury Confederate bullion & coin close to Galisteo

Thanks for the imfo Highmountain, as this story goes Union troops captured and buried Confederate gold and coin, near the settlement of Galisteo, right after which they were sent to Las vegas,N.M.,to intercept and protect a Union supply train,,then they were dispatched to Colorado and kansas,@ Missouri, the troops were either killed or died and never returned to claim the rebel treasure. Galisteo was est.around 1700, by the Ortiz family. Their might be as many as 9 Indian puebleos in this area...Coranando camped and exlored here in 1541...After Coronando came Espejo 1583,then Castano 1591,and Onate 1598...In 1692 Diego de Vargas visited and raised hell with the Indians.The Ortiz family had been given a Spanish land grant...Check out a mineing ghost named Delores...Church of our Lady of Remedies is a clue for other treasure, somewhere in the vincenty of Galisteo, or maybe dectect a old grove of cottonwood trees if stumbled upon.. ...HH

Highmountain

Mar 31, 2004
New Mexico
Re: Possibilty"s ? Union troops bury Confederate bullion & coin close to Galisteo

ghostdog said:
Thanks for the imfo Highmountain, as this story goes Union troops captured and buried Confederate gold and coin, near the settlement of Galisteo, right after which they were sent to Las vegas,N.M.,to intercept and protect a Union supply train,,then they were dispatched to Colorado and kansas,@ Missouri, the troops were either killed or died and never returned to claim the rebel treasure. Galisteo was est.around 1700, by the Ortiz family. Their might be as many as 9 Indian puebleos in this area...Coranando camped and exlored here in 1541...After Coronando came Espejo 1583,then Castano 1591,and Onate 1598...In 1692 Diego de Vargas visited and raised hell with the Indians.The Ortiz family had been given a Spanish land grant...Check out a mineing ghost named Delores...Church of our Lady of Remedies is a clue for other treasure, somewhere in the vincenty of Galisteo, or maybe dectect a old grove of cottonwood trees if stumbled upon.. ...HH

Interesting thought, Galisteo and Confederate treasure. When I lived in Santa Fe I used to go to Galisteo a lot nosing around a large rock outcrop there that had a lot of intriguing marks and petroglyphs on it. It also has one of the more interesting cemetaries I've come across in NM just for walking around in, shaking the head in wonder and dodging cactus. One of the best examples I've ever seen of how the influenza in 1918 cut a swath through the populations.

The area's one of those that's been 'discovered' by the Santa Fe wealthy and a lot was being subdivided last time I was up that way. It might be difficult to do as much wandering around as a person once could.

The WSW/ESE feature north of town is where all the markings and petroglyphs are on the rocks.

I doubt I'll ever be going back up there, but it's a good place, or was once if it hasn't gotten shoulder-to-shoulder money building houses on it.

Gracias,
Jack

Attachments

• galisteo 1.jpg
    galisteo 1.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 689
  • galisteo 3.jpg
    galisteo 3.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 635
  • galisteo 2.jpg
    galisteo 2.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 608

Highmountain

Mar 31, 2004
New Mexico
Re: Possibilty"s ? Union troops bury Confederate bullion & coin close to Galisteo

Not built up all that badly. #7 even looks as though it could be a ruin or an army encampment. Too many right angles to be ancient. Might just be an old bean field, though.

J

Attachments

• 6 galisteo FE.jpg
    6 galisteo FE.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 557
  • 5 galisteo FE.jpg
    5 galisteo FE.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 522
  • 4 galisteo FE.jpg
    4 galisteo FE.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 550
  • 3 galisteo FE.jpg
    3 galisteo FE.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 554
  • 2 galisteo FE.jpg
    2 galisteo FE.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 563
  • 1 galisteo FE.jpg
    1 galisteo FE.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 553
  • 7 galisteo FE.jpg
    7 galisteo FE.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 576

OroGrande

Apr 1, 2007
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

I used to live in Santa Fe more specifically Eldorado. Confederate treasure was supposedly hidden near Canoncito, just west of Glorieta Pass, which is noted for a battle between federal forces and the confederacy. As the story goes the bullion was for payroll and since the confederates were defeated and had to leave in a big hurry, they stashed their loot in a cave in the vicinity of Canoncito, which is now right off I-25. Also I found a ridge of ancient petroglyphs just west of the Eldorado subdivision but unfortunately did not have a camera at the time, but I'm sure I could find it again. Very interesting area with lots of history. When Burl Ives was living had a large estate just out of Galisteo, he loved the area... for what it's worth.... thanks for the post. HH "Oro"

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS

OroGrande said:
... As the story goes the bullion was for payroll and since the confederates were defeated and had to leave in a big hurry, they stashed their loot in a cave ...

I've heard a lot of stories such as this one and they never make much sense to me. Why take the trouble of caching it? Were they planning on returning? Too big of a hurry to take their pay with them? If so, why tell 'the story' to someone else? Makes for a good magazine article I guess, but I wouldn't put a lot of energy in trying to find the cave.

Highmountain

Mar 31, 2004
New Mexico

Springfield said:
OroGrande said:
... As the story goes the bullion was for payroll and since the confederates were defeated and had to leave in a big hurry, they stashed their loot in a cave ...

I've heard a lot of stories such as this one and they never make much sense to me. Why take the trouble of caching it? Were they planning on returning? Too big of a hurry to take their pay with them? If so, why tell 'the story' to someone else? Makes for a good magazine article I guess, but I wouldn't put a lot of energy in trying to find the cave.

Springfield: I'd been wondering about that, myself, trying to put together scenarios that allowed it to happen. Canoncito makes slightly more sense if the spoils managed to survive by being overlooked by the Colorado Volunteers and if they were bulky and cumbersome.

The only way I can put together anything that makes Galisteo Confederate treasure hold up would involve them burying it. The Confederates held Galisteo for a while and as I recall the unit there never got into Santa Fe, might have picked up something at the Cerrillos mines as they went through and buried it when they had to retreat from Galisteo.

I don't believe any Confederate treasure spoils would have ever reached Glorietta.... might have never left Santa Fe, because Santa Fe's where Sibley was when Glorietta was fought.

Dunno.... Seems to me Galisteo if the story's reconstructed to meet the needs of plausibility works better than Canoncito or Glorietta, which don't work well at all.

Which ain't saying it works at all with Yankees burying it.

Just my thinking.

Jack

OroGrande

Apr 1, 2007
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

Ok, think what you will!! Personally, I find the Canoncito theory more plausible, based on numerous conversations with native old timers, not from reading magazines.

Highmountain

Mar 31, 2004
New Mexico

OroGrande said:
Ok, think what you will!! Personally, I find the Canoncito theory more plausible, based on numerous conversations with native old timers, not from reading magazines.

Oro: Interesting. I don't read magazines much, myself. But I've been fairly detailed in my study of the sequence of events and so on.

I'd be sincerely interested in reading your proposed scenario that would put the Confederate spoils at Apache/Canyoncito and allowing them to escape being picked off by the Colorado Volunteers.

I'm always open to ideas about such things, and while I've never thought it likely I've probably haven't explored enough of the possibilities.

Gracias,
Jack

Highmountain

Mar 31, 2004
New Mexico

Concerning Galisteo, Canoncito and Confederate treasure I'd offer the following from the diary of one of the Texans. Rebels on the Rio Grande, Civil War Journal of A. B. Peticolas.

Monday 24 March 1862

We traveled 10 miles today and passed some old gold mines, or rather excavations, which do not appear to have rewarded the labor of the miners very well. We camped this evening at a little village in a mountain valley [my note: Delores], the principal feature of which is a large gold mill for crushing quartz, owned, it is said, by northern men. I got several specimens of quartz. Spent 1/2 hour in the mill very pleasantly and hear that the yield here is from $100 to $300 per ton of quartz, and that the gold is worth $18 per oz. The quartz is crushed by huge beams that work up and down. It is a steam mill and the machinery must have cost a great deal. We got wood from the village and water from the mill tanks.

25 March 1862

We took up th line of march this morning at a reasonably early hour and traveled 4 miles down a long slope and out of the piney country. We then reached the valley and traveled a good distance over a first-rate road and camped 12 miles from the gold mines at Galisteo.

I skipped a few interesting days to get to here:

Saturday, 29 March 1862

We ate a morsel of dried beef this morning and moved up towards out old camp with part of the Command which was an out post under Captain Naughton. Then we went into Camp while the rest of the men were busy burying the dead and attending to the wounded. We learned certainly before noon that our baggage train had all been burnt and that the Mexicans were busy stealing everything they could lay hands on. Green [My Note: At Galisteo] had not come as reported and so our things were indeed destroyed. I didn't mind losing anything save my watch and journal - that I care much about losing. . . . We learned today that most of the men who were at the wagons escaped and went to Santa Fe. C.B. Callendar and Gideon Egg were taken prisoners and John Warburton killed or taken prisoner and Scott is also taken. We had taken some 10 or 15 prisoners and sent them back to the wagons. They were retaken. We have now 20 left. . . . About 10 pm we were ordered to get our guns to march and the rest of the mommand coming up, we took up the line of march for Santa Fe. Marched all night; distance about 22 miles. We reached a small creek about 4 am and stopped an hour to wait for those that had given out on the road and stopped to rest. . .

Sunday, 30 March 1862

We walked into Santa Fe today . . .

We'll each have to use our own judgement and imagination as to whether this sounds like a description of the kind of frantic march and retreat that leaves gold buried in panic.

For the Colorado Volunteers' side of things: Boldly they rode; a history of the First Colorado Regiment of Volunteers,
Ovando James Hollister

Jack

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions