Possible 1961 penny mint error?

HobBob

Feb 18, 2006
SW Oakland County, MI
While looking a little more closely at some of my recent penny acquisitions, I came across this 1961 penny. The second '1' in the 1961 date appears to be doubled, with the top '1' sloping downwards and to the left. I've tried several scans, but none of them matches what I am seeing with a 5 power magnifier and strong light.
Here's the picture anyway - has anyone seen this type of thing before?
Thanks in advance and happy hunting,
Bob

Attachments

• 1961 penny possible mint error in date.jpg
    1961 penny possible mint error in date.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 7,872
Upvote 0
I blew it up a bit, and can't see what it is, exactly. However I do notice the last one is a bit deformed. Could've happened when something solid slid across the surface of the coin, I've seen that before.... where a number actually looks like it has moved!

Then theres machine doubling, if the second (or under) image appears flat, this is what it probably is.

There's no listing in the Cherrypickers guide for a doubled 61, either.

It still may be a new one, but it would definately be rare.... keep checking into it, until you're satisfied.

hope this helps..

Thanks for your input, Jeffro. I'm about 50-50 with either scenario. The bottom '1' does appear to be flat, but only the bottom half of it is visible. The top half of the bottom '1' is covered by the upper half of the top '1'.
What's really strange about it is that the bottom half of the top '1' curves to the left as it descends from the middle point of the numeral. Unfortunately, that's the detail I mentioned in my first post that I just haven't been able to make visible in several attempts to scan the obverse. (phew... can you keep all of that straight? ;D )
I don't think I have ever seen or heard of a double die imprint causing a digit to be misaligned for only the bottom half of a date numeral.
I think I might need to get better magnification so I can see the detail better, or send it in to be professionally graded.
Thanks for taking a look at it for me.
HH,
Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back