Possible cache location found, how to retrieve.

OP
OP
ScubaFinder

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Good luck my freind, and i hope the treasure bug's bite has infected you

Does hiking 11 miles down a sandy river bed looking for a buffalo carved into a tree in 104 degree weather count? LOL

I appreciate all of the comments, even the nay sayers ;) I am admittedly skeptical, but I also hiked down the dang river to see for myself. I'll ask for a thousand opinions (which is all any of us can really offer), but in the end, I'll do what I want to just like the rest of you will.

I've also been around forums enough to know that the inflection of speaking does not translate well into text, so I take everything with a grain of salt. I love the "It's printed, so it must be true" comment. My buddy and I always joke that 'It HAS to be true, I read it on the internet!" ROFLMAO

I'll go back out and probe the hole for grins (thanks for the metal rod advice, that's a good one). I still really want to find that old trading post...it WAS real and should be a good location. I might even risk sacrificing my digital camera and bring back a pic of the carving...maybe! Several times I was up to my neck in water on the first walk out...I'm a little clumsy like that. Maybe it's time to invest in that underwater housing for the Nikon...it costs more than the camera though (which was by no means cheap).

I just finally got my detector today, so this weekend will likely be spent detecting at some sites I have picked out around town. In the weeks of bidding on Ebay and waiting for the UPS man, I put quite a few pinned locations in Google Earth. One is an old 1800's house (fairly large) with a well and a cellar (still has the roof on it). I will most definitely take the nikon out and snap a few shots of that area...look for it in the "today's finds" section this week. It will be my first actual hunt, so if I have to post pics of pull tabs and bottle caps...I'll do it! LOL

Thanks again, and I'll update this thread if I decide to make another haul out there.

Jason

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
OK, just another opinion or two

I like the idea of using a hunk of rebar to probe - it'll transmit a metallic contact better than the PVC, and dragging a 20 ft piece of rebar 11 miles will be just as rewarding as hauling PVC ! Might want to weld a small foot on the end of it, maybe the size of a 50 cent piece so you can sense changes in the density of the soil and increase the odds of hitting any targets

Consider extending the coil lead (check with the manufacturer) on a cheap MD, and push that coil down with the probe. A silver bar will ring clear whether its the cheapest Bounty Hunter or the most expensive Minelab detector....... Silicone electical tape will seal the splice just fine.

I'm still working on retrieval ideas that can be hauled that distance without a team of mules.............

Diggem'

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
Simple retrieval techniques.
1 - Use an aluminum solid grain shovel. Place load in shovel and drag. Little old ladies can move big rocks with these in campsites.
2 - Haul in two bicycle wheels and a steel rod. Make a modern carreta with driftwood and a rope to drag behind you.
Whatever you decide to use practice in your yard first.
exanimo, ss

schlooppy

Dec 22, 2005
Kansas City, Mo.
I don't know if it was my posts that everyone is talking about, but I was not trying to be negative. I was just trying to look at the story from every angle, and some things with the story does sound a little strange. Could there be treasure there? Sure, you never know until you search for it. But it doesn't hurt to have all the input you can on the story whether its good or bad. If I were you I would be out there searching. Good luck.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scuba Seeker: HI, well for an example as to why you should follow this up, take my Tayopa.

It had been relegated to the files of another lost mine legend, a dream of a illogical lost Jesuit mine. In fact it was proven a fable by an eminent Professor.

Yet hundreds have looked for it over the centuries, many died in the search, it still goes on today.

Under this situation one would be considered crazy to even take the story seriously when even the Jesuits themselves claimed that they never did any mining in Mexico, and if they had, why didn't they return to it after things had calmed down.

The existing stories were often contradictory, leading to further confusion.

YET, in spite of this, I actually found theTayopa mines, admittedly it was a hassle and involved lot's of time.

So even if your story phases out, go for it, it will always put irreplaceable data into your memory banks for later enjoyment, and there remains the distinct possibility of a hit!

As they told me in the jungles of southern Mexico, "no-one has seen tomorrow sun".

"Nothing tried, nothing gained", etc.

Follow your dream my friend, since it will harm no-one or your family.

Tropical Tramp

p.s. go to Legends -> Tayopa for the fuller story.

OP
OP
ScubaFinder

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Schloopy, nah, I don't think anyone was pointing any fingers at anyone. I was more trying to dig out whether the county history was a GOOD source or not...you guys to grounded me a little and made me look at the reality of the situation. My thoughts are that it DID happen, after a little more research. And also that if it was easy to get at, it's gone...but if it was HARD to get to, then it may still be there. I will eventually go back convince myself one way or another.

TT - Thanks, those are some words to live by. I will go back out there, but I think I will plan it a little better and learn a bit more before I do. The first expedition was just to kill time until my MD got here, and to follow up on a lead.

Jason

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
That was why I was talking about the fishing pole with the weights. The wonderful walk to get there.<G>
If the line was not strung on the pole it is less likely to hang in the brush.
You could just 'wrap' some 20 Lb mono around a stick, 100 to 200 feet worth, and carry that instead of a pole.
The sinkers could be spread out in different pockets to balance the weight.

IMO Before I toted rebar that far, I would want to know how long the rebar had to be.<G>
BTW one of the easier ways to carry the sinkers, would be to put a 2 Oz. Pier or 'finger' sinker in each finger of a pair of gloves and tuck them under your belt. 8(fingers) X 2 Oz. equals a pound of lead.
Now it takes "a lot" of current to move a pound of lead.<G>
IMO If there was that much current or undertow, you wouldn't have sand there.<G>

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I had the wonderful experience of walking into some quicksand on the Ouachita River a few years back. Four of us were walking on the sandy shoreline, not really a beach, and at the edge of the water I took one step too far on the "solid" sand, and down I went. It sucked itself around my legs and the more I struggled, the deeper I got. Talk about PANIC! I didn't know how far down I was going, and by the time someone got close to me to grab on to me, it was well over my knees and advancing farther up! By the others pulling on me, I slowly began to pull out and was dragged to a safer spot. In the meanwhile, one of the others, a huge man (300+#) stepped where I had been and down he went. He didn't seemed to panic like I did, probably because he knew we'd get him out, but he did hand me his wallet about the time the sand came in contact with his crotch, and told me to hand it to his wife -- the insurance cards were in there, he said.

We did get him out (not easy) and back in the boat we went. I gained a healthy respect for quicksand that day. But back to the subject: I don't think dropping a weight in, waiting for it to sink to the bedrock, then pulling it out and measuring the line would work too well. Sounds good in theory, but that stuff is thick and I can't imagine any weight capable of being carried for 11 miles would sink as anticipated. The rebar sounds better. Something solid to work with. A board placed across it and stood on, if it's a small enough spot, would give a point of leverage and work to push the rebar in. Just my two cents worth. -Noodle

C

Chris Whewell

Jason, if you would like company, let me know. I'm in Georgetown, Tex. I'll be glad to tag along and carry the safety rope, in the event of any unforseen other quicksand holes.
Thanks,

OP
OP
ScubaFinder

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
An update: I tried to find a county road on the Oklahoma side that would get me close to the spot. I found one on a map, but it didn't go where the map showed it. I drove around for 2 hours trying to find an easy entry point, and there are NONE on either side within 3-4 miles of where I "think" the spot is.

I got a Garman GPS from a freind, and a kayak from my uncle. This weekend I plan on kayaking down to the spot from I-44, this will also allow me to find two trading post locations that are said to have been near by. With any luck, I'll have cell phone coverage on the river and my buddy is going to drive up Texas Highway 79 downstream and pick me up (this was my original entry point for the walking trip). With the kayak, I can haul rebar or PVC, GPS unit, cameras, detectors, and anything else (tent?) that I decide I need.

This trip will be more focused on finding the old trading post locations and detecting around them. The box 'o silver would be nice, but I still have to design and implement a retrieval solution, so I won't spend much time there this trip. Really just want to mark the GPS loc., photograph the tree mark for you guys, test the depth of the quicksand and see if I can "feel" anything from the end of the pole. We have a good chance of thunderstorms here this weekend, so I may get rained out too. Rain will be good to soften up the ground at some of the other locations I'm looking at, so it won't be a total loss.

It's KILLING me waiting to get out to a real site!!! So far, I've only detected in my backyard (one wheatie) and at a local lake beach area (found about 300 bottle caps, a spark plug, a metal washer, and a 1980 penny). My detector is pretty cheap, so I want to get to the good locations with less junk targets. The research is my favorite part anyways :D I haven't spent this many late nights on the internet since I discovered there was por.....well, never mind ;)

Jason

alwayslookin

Sep 30, 2004
Indy
Jason;

This is a great story and I for one am hoping that you find what you are seeking--the teasure of course--or at least valid proof that it once existed and you were able to follow the lead through. Like so many before me have said sometimes the treasure is in the quest.
Good Luck and keep us posted...

Dave

ctweber98

Greenie
Jul 21, 2006
Hey, nice work on the research as it sounds like you put a lot of time into this.

Just an idea but on another post one guy wanted to see if there was anything at the bottom of his old well and someone suggested that he use a retrieval magnet. They can lift up to 250 pounds and I am not sure but I bet they would pick up some silver too. Attach one of these babies on some rope and let her sink as the box would have worn away by now leaving just silver down there.

Here are some links:

http://cgi.ebay.com/225-Heavy-Duty-...oryZ1267QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.boatersworld.com/product/368080487.htm

alwayslookin

Sep 30, 2004
Indy
Even if the magnet would not pick up any silver the hinges of the box were probably made of steel/iron, unless of course they were leather. But if they were steel and the box has rotted away you could at least pull up some hinges if they haven't rusted away...just proof that the box exists.

OP
OP
ScubaFinder

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have one of the 150lb. lift mags from Harbor Freight already...but I thought silver was not magnetic. I'm new, so correct me if i'm wrong and I'll give that a try. With all the indians, trading posts, and civil and spanish war crossing sights along this stretch of river, I was planning to tow the magnet behind the kayak and see if maybe it picked something up.

Got rained out last weekend, and have a dive class this weekend. Then there is only two weekends left before my Cozumel / Belize trip. Maybe that hurricane washed some old spanish gold up near the shore last year :D

Jason

ctweber98

Greenie
Jul 21, 2006
Yeah, I am not so sure either. I know Silver itself is not magnetic but I don't know if those coins would be pure silver or not as I do not know much about coins but they might be iron or some other metal inside. It still might be worth a try.

Chris

OP
OP
ScubaFinder

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Good point Chris, I think in treasure hunting, EVERYTHING is worth a try. :D I hope I can get back out before my trip. Even though my detector pretty much sucks, i'd like to spend a little time with it before hitting the beaches and diving with it next month.

Jason

dragon6banger

Sep 23, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
garrett gtp 1350
like silver coins in quicksand these are the DAYS OF OUR LIVES!!!!!!!! LOL i had to say that well at least i thought it was funny. OK heres my opinions find someone in your area with a good 2 box detector to help you search if the area of quicksand is large you may be able to get a sheet of 1/2 plywood 4by8 and lay on top of sand to detect quickly it should be stable for a few minutes like a cementman would use not to sink into his work. Second thing you could try if your PVC/ metal rod says there something down there is why not try a sand scoop tied to a rope see where I'm going with this you could drag the bottom of hole sand would flow through holes and what ever is big enough to stay in scoop might just be some good old silver coins i hope your site is good and you find a million in silver down there maybe even some gold bars you never know until you look for yourself just be carefull about the "hole" thingyou should take someone with you and some rope tied to a tree and your self but all in all you get someone to help you and then you have a friend to detect with you know the buddy system better safe than sorry good luck in you guest happy hunting

kierdan

Jun 26, 2006
Elkton, Maryland
If your planning on hauling in rebar or pvc pipe to the location to check depth, why not bring a basket or scoop or something you can attach to the end to see if something might come up? if its not TOO deep you may be able to pull something. Just a thought.

Dan

OP
OP
ScubaFinder

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Excellent thoughts guys!

Man did I have an interesting weekend. My dive class was at Athens Scuba Park (www.athensscubapark.com) and the owner is an avid treasure hunter. He bought an old rock quarry that was full of nice clear water, and sunk boats, planes, buses, VW's and a host of other things in it for divers to explore. He teaches side scan sonar and magnetometer classes on site and has some really nice JW Fishers stuff. The images of the airplane on Fishers web site (top of Side Scan Sonar product page) is in his quarry, I dove inside of it this morning :D If you go to the athens web site, you can see the plane in the aerial photo on the first page.

His name is Calvin Wilcher, and one of his tech diver/treasure hunter friends Marc Thompson was also there. We traded a lot of tales and techniques over WAY to many beers, and I learned a lot from two very helpful veterans. Calvins brother is upgrading, and wants to sell his MXT cheap sooo, lets just say I have a MUCH better detector on the way soon :D

He is going to a cave where they are pretty sure there is some silver, but the cave doubles as a rattlesnake den. I told him of my earlier snake hunting experience and offered to clear out the snakes for a "tag along" on the trip. He politely said "not a bad idea, I'll think about it". :D

Way off topic I know, but I had to tell somebody.

Jason

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread