What's new

Possible Civil War Button or Pre CWE

IM24KAU

Greenie
Joined
Feb 7, 2012
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Canal Winchester, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this button in central Ohio. It very old, It looks very similar to buttons ive seen out of the civil war era or before. Im no expert though. I hope someone here can help me identify this! Thanks and HH!

Removed 1st pic since Breezie adjusted size.
 
First of all, WELCOME to the forum. I've resized and did some lighting work to your button. It will be helpful for you to give us the size and show the back of the button. Nice find :icon_thumleft: Breezie
 

Attachments

  • button.webp
    button.webp
    44.2 KB · Views: 408
Upvote 0
The back area wear the shank would be is gone, its hollow. Its roughly the size of a quarter.
 
Upvote 0
LOL I swear it looks like a turkey, looking to the left. :-\
 
Upvote 0
IM24KAU said:
The back area wear the shank would be is gone, its hollow. Its roughly the size of a quarter.
It sounds as if you may be describing a rusted out iron back. :dontknow: Im going to guess a civilian hunting button.

This is the only CW button I could find that even comes close but no match.
 
Upvote 0
I am thinking Civilian as well.It looks like a landing Eagle with three arrows in its talons??
 
Upvote 0
Kuger is a faster typist than I am. ;-) It is a Civilian "Patriotic" button ...not Military-Issue. (Did anybody notice that the emblem has a "fabric-weave" texture?)

Turn the photo to the left, and you'll see the eagle is standing on (and looking down at) three arrows and a very short sprig of olive leaves. (Some people may feel that the eagle is hovering in the air, holding the arrows vertically, but I don't think so.) In either case, there is no such American Military button.

Also, I agree that it most probably had an iron back, which is now completely rusted away.
 
Upvote 0
TheCannonballGuy said:
Kuger is a faster typist than I am. ;-) It is a Civilian "Patriotic" button ...not Military-Issue. (Did anybody notice that the emblem has a "fabric-weave" texture?)

Turn the photo to the left, and you'll see the eagle is standing on (and looking down at) three arrows and a very short sprig of olive leaves. (Some people may feel that the eagle is hovering in the air, holding the arrows vertically, but I don't think so.) In either case, there is no such American Military button.

Also, I agree that it most probably had an iron back, which is now completely rusted away.

Thanks CBG,I was just stating what I was seeing....I have no where near the knowledge in buttons you do :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
TheCannonballGuy said:
Kuger is a faster typist than I am. ;-) It is a Civilian "Patriotic" button ...not Military-Issue. (Did anybody notice that the emblem has a "fabric-weave" texture?)

Turn the photo to the left, and you'll see the eagle is standing on (and looking down at) three arrows and a very short sprig of olive leaves. (Some people may feel that the eagle is hovering in the air, holding the arrows vertically, but I don't think so.) In either case, there is no such American Military button.

Also, I agree that it most probably had an iron back, which is now completely rusted away.
I thought it might not be positioned correctly. :icon_thumright: I see the arrows Kuger referred to now.
 
Upvote 0
the key to this button is no shield and arrows in right claw,searched alberts and no luck....good luck....RR
 
Upvote 0
Not Mexican ...because Mexico's national emblem shows an eagle gripping a snake in its talons -- not arrows and a sprig of olive-tree leaves.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom