What's new

Possible (meteorite found after witnessed fall)

RockForum

Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2014
Messages
37
Reaction score
4
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright this is my first time on this site. The reason I am posting is because when I was younger I witnessed a fall of a "meteorite" literally right down the block from my house it came down lower then the power lines and landed. I decided to look KNOWING it landed there. This was the only rock I found. I messaged the museum of Natural History and they said It could be a meteorite but could also be magnetite. The only thing is. They say that Magnetite streaks black or streaks and this doesn't leave any streak marks at all of any color. It is metallic. After using Hydrolic acid I managed to get a nickel reading on it. After 4 separate tries and a file to get into the object. I know something fell in the area and by the SIZE of what I saw fall this matches it. Almost certainly. I attached a photo of it. It's strange. Its SO similar to Magnetite (meteor wrongs) but yet so different at the same time. I also attached a photo of a magnetite rock to show how similar it is. Can't say for sure. but I can say it certainly doesn't streak like a magnetite would. The black is the uncleaned area. Unlike the fake the one I believe is from what I saw fall. Has an odd what looks like what I would call a tumor coming out of it. Just strange. Basically i'm dealing with some saying. it's a meteorite, It could be a meteorite some saying it isn't a meteorite. all I know is one did fall in that area and I searched the WHOLE site.
 

Attachments

  • Possible meteorite surface.webp
    Possible meteorite surface.webp
    40 KB · Views: 283
  • window 3 surface.webp
    window 3 surface.webp
    38.2 KB · Views: 188
  • Fake meteor.webp
    Fake meteor.webp
    49.4 KB · Views: 534
Last edited:
I for one would like to hear the story of what you saw and heard.
Sounds like a cool experience.
 
You know how a car hits on the breaks really fast and it can't stop thats exactly how it looked like. IF you take the sun and you crush it into the size of a pool ball or a baseball and chucked it really fast downward at a 51 degree angle at extreme speeds. it was weird it just looked like a intense light with a streak behind it. I didn't hear anything. No sounds not a bang, not a sound at all. I just saw it. I was a block away. It was strange it was going crazy fast then when it reached the power line and got lower it appeared to slow down and the glow got bright then lower then it vanished. Then a few days later I found that. It happened really fast hard to forget that night though.
 
what drew your attention to it?
how far away was it when you first saw it?
how deep was it in the earth?
 
I found it actually on the sidewalk it didn't land in the grass. IF it had I don't think I ever would have found it at all. It was a long time ago. it wasn't buried under the ground I am certain of that though I am certain it didn't land in the grass.
 
Last edited:
You know I never really thought of made me look up. I don't really think I heard anything but it was pretty obvious how bright it was.
 
Nickel test result and surface with original before cleaned. Here are photo's of the nickel result test surface and how it was originally found.
 

Attachments

  • Possible meteor.webp
    Possible meteor.webp
    34.4 KB · Views: 243
  • Possbile meteor 2.webp
    Possbile meteor 2.webp
    44.5 KB · Views: 209
  • Nickel test.webp
    Nickel test.webp
    29 KB · Views: 196
  • Surface 1.webp
    Surface 1.webp
    39.1 KB · Views: 171
  • Original surface.webp
    Original surface.webp
    15.9 KB · Views: 204
Nice!! I have a meteorite given to me by my cousin and sent a pic tho the "Meteorite Men" who told me it was a meteor wrong by looks. It passed all the tests that I could do at home like the scratch test and it was highly magnetic. When I get a little time I will take it to the University of Akrons Department of Geology for their opinion on it. What is really strange is that it's almost a dead ringer for the shape of Ohio! LOL... Good Hunting!!
 
meteorites are magnetic are they not... try taking a mag to it and seeif it sticks
 
Here is my second candidate for what I saw fall. Both don't leave leave a black streak and passed the nickel test. I just did another tile test scratched the tile for the OTHER stone Above again no black streak the streak was actually just like a scratch on the tile . They are magnetic. They certainly are. But I have one other rock this one that is almost 1000 times as metallic as this one which is also a candidate of what I saw fall. This is ANOTHER metallic rock I found that tested positive for nickel. . It is much more magnetic then the other one and can literally hang and spin on magnets. The other one is can be pulled not lifted. They are both magnetic. one just more so then the other. This is the other possible one. Much much much more magnetic attractive though both can attract magnets. the difference between the 2 is one can be pulled the other one above and this one can be lifted.
 

Attachments

  • Magnetic rock or meteorite .webp
    Magnetic rock or meteorite .webp
    19.9 KB · Views: 239
  • Ny Rocky meteorite .webp
    Ny Rocky meteorite .webp
    36.8 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
did you find one rock or three?were any of them hot when you found them?
 
These 2 were found in different area's. The first rock I showed was the one from the location I saw the fall. It was not hot because I waited days so days to go out and collect it I know because I remember trying to figure out what it was and thinking for a few days before I decided to look It was a pretty long time ago I was much younger. When you see something that bright you know not to touch it and it can be dangerous. I am glad I didn't go out the same night I saw it looking. That could have turned out very bad. IT was late though and I didn't see anyone else out or around. So I'm pretty sure nobody else went looking for it. We live to close to a dead end to have much traffic down here. I found another few rocks in a different location that also tested positive for nickel. (the one I saw myself) that was only a single one. From what I saw. Idk what the others are. Here is a set of the others though. The museum mailed me and said these are likely not meteorites though. However I find it quite a disappointment how they can claim it's not without even examining it in person. I find it odd they are all sort of in the same direction broken. The three seen here are not from the same location They are a completely different and and were very recently found. They also tested positive for nickel. These three weren't found in the ground but were kinda stuck on the surface in it and I had to wiggle one out.
 

Attachments

  • 11.webp
    11.webp
    56.2 KB · Views: 198
  • ny meteor 2.webp
    ny meteor 2.webp
    85.1 KB · Views: 264
  • 10412033_910736402276320_5713789663304378627_n.webp
    10412033_910736402276320_5713789663304378627_n.webp
    53 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
This is the rock I am interested in however because the museum said it could be a meteorite that its possible and because it has the same cracking as the texture surface of this meteorite they (its copyrighted so I only took the surface photo.) Of these Cracks. The first I believe are from the TAZA meteorite from arizona. Because the cracks on the one I witnessed fall completely match the ones of this authentic one. With both it looks like the cracks come within the stone. Thats the most difficult part. They so different but yet so similar.
 

Attachments

  • Crack 2 arizona.webp
    Crack 2 arizona.webp
    5.3 KB · Views: 589
  • Crack 1 (arizona).webp
    Crack 1 (arizona).webp
    23.9 KB · Views: 176
  • Similar crack.webp
    Similar crack.webp
    5.3 KB · Views: 548
  • Similar cracking.webp
    Similar cracking.webp
    33.6 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
meteor.webp (this is exactly what I saw it isn't my photo) only really close up and in color. The baseball sized with the flames behind it. bright orange red with almost a white orange in the center.
 
Last edited:
Nickel test 2 I drilled a small hole in it for another test and to check interior out and checked the hardness of it. tests positive for nickel but not large amounts.
 

Attachments

  • Possible meteorite drill hole nickel test.webp
    Possible meteorite drill hole nickel test.webp
    26.7 KB · Views: 231
  • Drilled.webp
    Drilled.webp
    36.5 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom