What's new

Possible Meteorite ?

mojjax

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2005
Messages
4,564
Reaction score
4,092
Golden Thread
0
Location
MAINE
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is extra heavy , a magnet sticks to it . I posted it on here 18 years ago , now there are many more new members on tnet that may be able to help . I found it behind a High School .
 

Attachments

  • DSCF3481.webp
    DSCF3481.webp
    2.9 MB · Views: 175
  • DSCF3482.webp
    DSCF3482.webp
    2.9 MB · Views: 149
  • DSCF3483.webp
    DSCF3483.webp
    3 MB · Views: 187
  • DSCF3484.webp
    DSCF3484.webp
    2.6 MB · Views: 125
Looks very good to me but I am not a pro. Only way to be 100% sure is to have it professionally evaluated.
 
Upvote 0
Yesterday I took it to the University of Maine Cooperative Extension . They gave me the phone # of Dr. Alice Kelly , she runs the geology dept . at the University of Maine in Orno . I left a message on her voice mail .
 
Upvote 0
We sent a piece of our meteorite to the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in AZ for evaluation. My brother-in-law has friends there. Complete evaluation was done and is now on permanent loan to the Griffith's Observatory museum in L.A.
Yours sure looks like it has all the markings of a metallic one to me.
 
Upvote 0
This is a potential fragment from a meteorite. Needs elemental and compound analysis. I would send it off, like to Dr. Kelly. It sure doesn't look like it's from Maine!
 
Upvote 0
I still haven't heard back from Dr. Kelley , but I did bring it to my friend who owns a local Pawn Shop - He found several meteorites on a trip to Arizona a few years back . I showed him mine , he showed me his . His are very similar to mine . He thinks mine is the real deal .
I hope Dr. Kelley get's back to me . Orno is quite a long drive from here , but I would have no problem sending it to her - I found her facebook page and she looks like an honest person -


  • https://www.facebook.com/alice.r.kelley?ref=br_rs


 
Upvote 0
Orno called , they seem very interested in my possible meteorite . We are playing Phone Tag right now .
 
Upvote 0
I never heard back from Orno , so I sent some pictures to the Maine Mineral & Gem Museum yesterday . Today the Museum director Emailed me and wanted more pictures . https://mainemineralmuseum.org/
 
Upvote 0
Until your rock is professionally evaluated, it is just a rock. While you will get opinions here, most will resemble amateur hour. Some based on experience, most not.

While your rock shows promise, the polished face has me doubting. I see no trace of widmanstatten pattern, which is present in most iron meteorites. Perhaps the face in not well polished. Perhaps it is my trifocals, but I do not see my favorite visual indicator of a meteorite.

Time for more coffee.
 
Upvote 0
Interesting -

Did you find it cut already or a DYI?

I wonder if it was from the HS Science lab if pre-cut.

Seems like it takes more than a cut to bring out the lines. Acid type not specified in article.

Widmanstätten pattern, also called Widmanstätten figure, lines that appear in some iron meteorites when a cross section of the meteorite is etched with weak acid.

Good luck on ID and I'm totally jealous if space rock!
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom