Possible Orient Fishtail, CT

ShortLobster

Jul 17, 2022
Found this cool, long & narrow point yesterday. Looking through some sources it seems it might be an Orient Fishtail type. Could also be a different type that has been reworked a few times.

Although the point is weathered, the material appears to be a dark gray chert. You can see the clean material on the chip near the tip on one of the pictures.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_4171.jpg
    IMG_4171.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_4172.jpg
    IMG_4172.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4174.jpg
    IMG_4174.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 37
Upvote 6
F977A221-A958-40C7-B214-A4585248BBDA.jpeg
Cool point.
The material may be one of the soft argillites like Lockatong Argillite found in NJ and PA. It’s identified by the severe weathering, which I think is evident on your point.
It could be an Orient Fishtail. I believe the base is neatly tapered and that could be evidence for Orient Fishtail.
Although, the base could be considered somewhat lobed, which is strong evidence for a Lamoka Point.
Both are broadly side-notched and narrow. And, according to A New England Typology of Native American Projectile Points (by Jeff Boudreau), the Orient Fishtail appears to have its roots in Lamoka.

Attachments

• 1425D1FD-F6B0-47DB-83FC-5D3DCB2B9047.jpeg
    1425D1FD-F6B0-47DB-83FC-5D3DCB2B9047.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:
View attachment 2062701Cool point.
The material may be one of the soft argillites like Lockatong Argillite found in NJ and PA. It’s identified by the severe weathering, which I think is evident on your point.
It could be an Orient Fishtail. I believe the base is neatly tapered and that could be evidence for Orient Fishtail.
Although, the base could be considered somewhat lobed, which is strong evidence for a Lamoka Point.
Both are broadly side-notched and narrow. And, according to A New England Typology of Native American Projectile Points (by Jeff Boudreau), the Orient Fishtail appears to have its roots in Lamoka.
Very interesting, thanks. I hadn't considered Argillite, but it makes sense. I've found a bunch of other chert pieces nearby and none had this extent of weathering.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back