What's new

Possible Shaft Abrader & Celt?

mn9000

Full Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2016
Messages
199
Reaction score
248
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possible Shaft Abrader & Celt?

I found these 2 within a few feet of each other so I figured I'd post them both at the same time. The artifact that looks to be a shaft abrader has got me thrown for a loop, it's made from a material that's quite a bit different than the other stone types found in the creek or the surrounding area. It's very lightweight too and feels like it might break if I dropped it.

The Celt/ax looking tool is very smooth and looks similar to some examples of stone woodworking tools from this region that I found online, but I still can't decide if it's natural or man made. Any input is appreciated! SW Missouri finds. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1492200782.184782.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1492200804.062010.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1492200821.300792.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1492200838.876059.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1492200876.864559.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1492200903.742385.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1492200968.257751.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1492200990.860995.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1492201020.503712.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1492201041.042928.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1492201114.850035.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1492201134.508251.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1492201152.736044.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1492201173.844795.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1492201195.223234.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm not familiar with your area but if I found the shaft abrader out west I'd know it was real. It looks pretty good from the pictures. The Celt, not so much to me but we don't have Celts anywhere me.
 
I'm thinking the "abrader" is something modern but don't take my word for it. The celt looking stone is natural.
 
The abraded looks to be made out of cotton rock. Is it really light feeling?
 
Yes, very light feeling & makes a sound similar to coins clanging together when I tap it with another stone. I've never heard of Cotton rock, looking forward to researching that a little further. Thanks.
 
Yes, very light feeling & makes a sound similar to coins clanging together when I tap it with another stone. I've never heard of Cotton rock, looking forward to researching that a little further. Thanks.

Here is a piece i retrieved from your same area. It was often used as it was very easy to work with.cotton rock.webp Do ya think we have a match?
 
Very interesting! Yes I'd say that's the same stuff. Thank you sir
 
I dunno, but I'm thinking something used in a kiln on the light colored piece.
 
I'm thinking the "abrader" is something modern but don't take my word for it. The celt looking stone is natural.

I agree ..... A while back somebody posted a similar looking rock I believe it ended up being from a kiln
 
The groove in the "abrader" or shaft straightener seems to have been molded into the piece as is if it is a form or brick or ceramic, rather than worn into a groove from repeated friction in stone? It is hard to ell from the photo.
 
yeah, the grove looks to be more angular than the round shape i am familiar with
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom