possible shell pendant

BeachComber7

May 12, 2012
Treasure Coast-Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer and Tesoro deLeon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this shell on a treasure coast beach within maybe 100 feet or less of a midden. Thought it was beach glass because I first saw the dark brown in the shells, figured amber glass piece. Once in hand, I noted a few unusual things about this shell-coloring on back side, hole and markings but markings may be nothing but damage from the environment. I am thinking maybe was a pendant.

Attachments

• 11 14 2012 (2) - Copy.JPG
    11 14 2012 (2) - Copy.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 99
  • 11 14 2012 - Copy.JPG
    11 14 2012 - Copy.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 96
Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to say unless it is slap you in the face obvious like a flint projectile point finding a shell with a hole in it on the beach... even if it is a genuine artifact I personally almost always dismiss them as geo facts. there is just no context and thousands of shells with holes on the beach. If you feel it is something by all means keep it. I just don't think there's any way to know for sure with items like that. That's just my opinion... let's see what others think. Good to see you're out there looking. thanks for posting.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know I post a lot of shell With holes.. But they are always Ones that I have found In context with other artifacts and another thing to look for is the fact that it was drilled from both sides.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
GatorBoy said:
I know I post a lot of shell With holes.. But they are always Ones that I have found In context with other artifacts and another thing to look for is the fact that it was drilled from both sides.

So, what you are saying is, with the info provided, it inconclusive? I have found shells on the beach with holes in them and " artifact" never crossed my mind. Can't say I have found a round one like the one above. Original poster, give us some insight. Where, when, what.... You see what I'm asking for. Gator is the shell man! Give him something to work with, and you will probably have an answer soon.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually know exactly where she picked that up.. she messaged me on my cellphone earlier. The beach itself is routinely wiped clean of material and redeposited either to the north or south depending on the wind or swell direction. There is no way of knowing where what you are looking at came from.

Last edited:

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
GatorBoy said:
I actually know exactly where she picked that up.. she messaged me on my cellphone earlier. There is a midden between the lagoon and the beach in that location. There's a good distance between the two and a large dune line in-between. The beach itself is routinely wiped clean of material and redeposited either to the north or south depending on the wind or swell direction. There is no way of knowing where what you are looking at came from.

Are the conditions with the beach totally nature, or done by dredging? Just curious.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mostly nature.. since it is the ocean. but the sand has been replenished several times with dredged material. I'm not going to stomp all over her thread..
That's my take on it. It's 1/2 of a bivalve shell worn by the surf and has an irregular break that has also been worn.

Last edited:

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
GatorBoy said:
Mostly nature.. since it is the ocean. but the sand has been replenished several times with dredged material. I'm not going to stomp all over her thread..
That's my take on it.

Got ya! Sorry for interrupting :-)

OP
OP
BeachComber7

BeachComber7

May 12, 2012
Treasure Coast-Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This small shell was found in a shell pile- one of few piles around these last few days- with oyster shells scattered about. The shells were grey and few but enough to make me take notice of what was under my feet. According to research, there is or maybe was, a midden right in the dune line or set back, that used to be a vacant tree'd lot. As Gator said, it's hard to know for sure on a beach since the items can come from anywhere depending on the direction of the waves and wind.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still think you had a good eye in seeing what could have been midden patina and for noticing the oyster shells. Who knows I only saw two photos.

OP
OP
BeachComber7

BeachComber7

May 12, 2012
Treasure Coast-Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think storm interrupted the beach and dune middens. I saw way more grey shells today then ever, not at the beach north were we go for fossils but the next two south of there. You should walk there, you will certainly see something I thought nothing of. I mean, to me its a rock, to you its flint or hafted something! Lots of small shells though, the grey ones are up further in dry sand. Oh and thanks for the compliment there Bill, I do believe that's a first!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions