Possible union field hospital!

americanzero

Oct 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I came across a few interesting bullets in this one spot. One bullet very obviously marred by human teeth, and a three ringer with forcep marks on the base from being twisted out of a body. This all piqued my interest, and my research is still ongoing. What I postulate so far, is that it was a union field hospital that was overrun by the confederates during a breakout attempt! I have been able to put a possible name to the regimental surgeon that would have been over this site, and I may be able to put a name on the pulled bullet. From the records I have found so far, there was a small number of patients actually operated on in this location, and I'm hoping to narrow it down to a single soldier. The big piece of validity is that the site is described in detail in official records, and the ground matches up almost exactly to the description. I have to withhold a large bit of my findings so far, as I plan to put together a paper on this location. My ultimate goal is A) to donate the pulled bullet to the state historical socket of the sliders regiment, and if possible B) get an exact name of the soldier and contact his descendants directly. Kind of a lofty goal, but with everything I am seeing a far, not out of the question. To date I do not know of a single bullet that has been able to be given this promenance. I am super excited to get all of this information together! Just wanted to share. When I have everything put together I will post pictures and the article on here for you guys to see.

Upvote 0

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From my understanding, bullets were never ever used to bite on during a surgery, as they would get squished, fall apart, and possibly be swallowed. But they would be marred up before being fired to cause more damage on impact. Still a great find ... good luck

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
squirrels chew on bullets then you find it 150 years later.

OP
OP
A

americanzero

Oct 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok let's focus here. The bullet with forcep marks is the important one. We are not rehashing the same tired talk about whether or not people chewed on bullets. It is reall the least relevant piece of evidence I provided.

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok let's focus here. The bullet with forcep marks is the important one. We are not rehashing the same tired talk about whether or not people chewed on bullets. It is reall the least relevant piece of evidence I provided.

I'd like to see the bullet with forcep marks if you could put a picture up.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope your research pans out. It is great to piece together the puzzle and the official records put together by the Union is the best source as all confederate records were burned. Good luck. What did the surgical tool look like?
Please keep us updated.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Tnmountains Stated please keep us updated...

OP
OP
A

americanzero

Oct 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These pictures may not do full justice. In the hand it is evident that there was an intentional twisting motion applied to one edge of the base. This would have been consistent with a grasp and pull bullet removal. Think pulling teeth with pliers get a grip, twist, and pull that bad boy out.

Attachments

• image-4175822427.jpg
    image-4175822427.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 114
  • image-1713325870.jpg
    image-1713325870.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 102

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That bullet has certainly been through some trauma. Thanks for taking the time to put the pics up for us. Look foward to reading your article when it is completed.:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread