Possible upgrade in the Fall, choices Please.

SwingAlot

Aug 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off Im not a brand fanboy so I'll take all suggestion into consideration. Currently Im swinging a Garrett AT Pro just under a year and really enjoy the machine, I've given great thought to upgrading in the fall or perhaps early after the new year. My budget is NOT to exceed $1500, and that is somewhat steep for a machine that leans more then swings, simply because of my schedule.

My detecting consists of mainly private and state lands for coins and Colonial type relics, I may hit the local coastal beaches in the off season a time or two. Im not a fan of the heavily traffic areas like parks and tot lots, I have no interest in digging caps and pull taps. With that being said I will add my AT Pro is 100% waterproof (you already knew) but I've never fully submerged the machine and really don't see myself doing so, I guess a fully waterproof machine isn't imperative. Machines I've looked into have been Minelabs Safari,Etrac. Fishers F75/F75LTD. Teknetics T2/T2LTD. These seem to be the most popular 3 in that price range. I know theres also great machines in form of White & Tesoro, but I really like the VDI readout on the AT Pro and alot of its features, I just feel Im missing some great finds to the limited possibilities of my machine.

I have a few months to read up, study up and research all the machines above and all opinions from all the experienced users and their thoughts on what machines and why.

Thank You In Advanced TreasureNet Experts.
SwingAlot.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just feel Im missing some great finds to the limited possibilities of my machine.

You're not!

I'll get crucified by the brand loyal drones for this but the ATP will find 99% of what any other detector (sans PI units) will find. Some will have you believe that they are digging 9"-16" holes on every swing they make and pulling up nothing but treasure all the time. They are full of sh...crap!

If you do decide to "upgrade" I challenge you to take and compare each target you find with your upgraded machine and swing the ATP over the same. The results will be sobering!

Before the drones get to riled up I'll add this...I DO NOT think the ATP is the "best" for every situation and it does have some mongoloid design features (plug design for one) but overall I haven't seen it outperformed by my Vx3, E-Trac or Deus. Has my ATP found stuff the other wouldn't have. Probably not, but none of the others have uncovered anything my ATP wouldn't have hit either.

Flame away!:blob8:

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a minelab explorer and dig only treasure 9 to 16 inches deep and I highly recommend you buy one as soon as possibly. No really.

OP
OP
S

SwingAlot

Aug 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fella, apparently you've hit the nail on the head and there is no real need for a new machine, no one can give advice on a new machine except for dirtsnatcher, but obviously his sarcasm isnt needed as I was hoping to find real answers....Thanks for the input fella.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
Instead of buying one machine for $1500, why not get 2.
Minelab X-Terra 705 ($725) or a Tesoro Tejon ($595) and then get a land/water machine like a Tesoro Sand Shark ($600) or Tiger Shark ($660).

There just isn't a detector I would want over $800 unless I was in serious gold country. Then I can see spending the $$$ for a Minelab GTX model.

AC500

Apr 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Instead of buying one machine for $1500, why not get 2.
Minelab X-Terra 705 ($725) or a Tesoro Tejon ($595) and then get a land/water machine like a Tesoro Sand Shark ($600) or Tiger Shark ($660).

There just isn't a detector I would want over $800 unless I was in serious gold country. Then I can see spending the $$$ for a Minelab GTX model.

OP has an AT Pro, already a waterproof machine. I've been watching this rather closely because I've given thought to the Minelab Safari, but cant seem to find a real need for the upgrade. I was hoping to find some of those answers in here as well.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Water has already been poisoned by rude AT Pro shills.
It's not worth the abuse to post reality when there are those that are so ready to refuse to recognize it.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fella, apparently you've hit the nail on the head and there is no real need for a new machine, no one can give advice on a new machine except for dirtsnatcher, but obviously his sarcasm isnt needed as I was hoping to find real answers....Thanks for the input fella.

Sorry for the sarcasm, in my opinion you should get an etrac, or even a sepro but to say such a thing is to open yourself up to the wrath of the atp clan. They are different from each other in ways that compliment each other. IMO etrac is deeper and ids at depth better than the atp but atp is better in trashier spots with better target separation.

OP
OP
S

SwingAlot

Aug 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Water has already been poisoned by rude AT Pro shills.
It's not worth the abuse to post reality when there are those that are so ready to refuse to recognize it.

Please share your thoughts Longhair, Im eager to learn more about different machines and how they may make me better then my ATP. I dont dislike my Pro, I feel as though I may be missing something , I didnt intend to make this an all out brand battle, but it appears as though some may be offended if one does not agree with ones opinion....

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been swinging for 28 years now. I have searched side by side with almost every machine out there. We have tested each others machines on deep hits while we are out hunting. I sold all my other machines and bought the E-Trac because it did out perform the other machines I & others were using < - Just the facts......Minelabs customer service was horrible at first, but in the last couple years they were bought out and are now very helpful. It's also a bit out of your $ range, unless you find a used one????? Don't hate me because I have an E-Trac. please.........

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please share your thoughts Longhair, Im eager to learn more about different machines and how they may make me better then my ATP. I dont dislike my Pro, I feel as though I may be missing something , I didnt intend to make this an all out brand battle, but it appears as though some may be offended if one does not agree with ones opinion....
Truth be told, detectors are priced according to features and capability for the most part. The AT Pro is no exception. If a particular model is over priced, it doesn't sell and it either sees a price adjustment or it goes away. The market is kind of self regulating in that way. Just the same as if the CTX were truly over priced, it would not be enjoying the success that it is.

So to more directly answer your question, most machines that cost more than the ATP will out perform it in some fashion. And since some of what you pay for with an ATP is waterproofing, an equivalent costing machine that isn't waterproof has other attributes that make it a better land machine.

I have my own brand preferences, but I choose to leave that out of this discussion. It is of little relevance. Just suffice it to say that the ATP is only an end point for a small demographic of dedicated detectorists.

Brooklynhunter

Jul 16, 2013
I own both whites and minelab detectors. Like them both and each has their sting points. That said. I would recommend you look at the whites detectors. They have Several models which are clear upgrades to tge ATPro and are very well suited for the type of hunting u do. Their products are quality made and the customer service is second to none. Good luck on whatever u decide to go with.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread