Possible Used Bullet, but not really sure...

SidneyEllen

Aug 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum, but if yesterday was any indication, I think I might just get hooked on treasure hunting... My brother and I were goofing around on his property with my metal detector near where he found a Catawba Indian arrowhead last spring. Anyway, the thing started beeping quite loudly, so I figured it couldn't be too deep down (I mean, my detector only goes about a foot into the dirt)... It turned out to be right about a foot down and quite heavy for it's size. I assumed that it was lead, but I couldn't really see, since it was absolutely coated in a thick layer of red clay. Anyway, I brought it home and cleaned it off, but I'm afraid I've accidentally rubbed off some of the white patina. I am really hoping that someone on here will be able to tell me something more about it. I'm not certain that it is a smashed bullet, but it seems about the right size to me. On one side which seems to be slightly indented, there is a raised five-pointed star toward the upper left-handed side. Across the bottom, it definitely reads "BL," possibly a full "BLIN" (although that last part is a bit difficult to read. If anyone could help, I'd greatly appreciate it!

DSCF3382.JPGDSCF3383.JPGDSCF3384.JPGDSCF3386.JPGDSCF3387.JPGDSCF3388.JPGDSCF3400.JPGDSCF3402.JPG

That looks somewhat like a lead seal. See if it has evidence of a wire having run thru it. If it is a bullet I would bet on it being fired.

Upvote 0
If it has letters printed on it, it is not a bullet. I think, like duggap, that it is a lead seal that was used on cotton, tobacco, ect. Tennessee digger

Upvote 0
Whew, okay, you guys must be right! :) In one side there is a hole (right in the middle of this pic)
DSCF3387.JPG
On the other side are two smaller holes.
DSCF3384.JPG

Now the questions are: What exactly is a lead seal and possibly how old might this be? Or where might I look to find this out for myself? Thanks for your help!

Upvote 0
Great Id Duggap. Lead seal for sure.............HH

Upvote 0
Looks like a hollow point pistol bullet that struck something very hard. The hole was probably the hollow point. Monty

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back