Possible Used Bullet, but not really sure...

SidneyEllen

Aug 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum, but if yesterday was any indication, I think I might just get hooked on treasure hunting... My brother and I were goofing around on his property with my metal detector near where he found a Catawba Indian arrowhead last spring. Anyway, the thing started beeping quite loudly, so I figured it couldn't be too deep down (I mean, my detector only goes about a foot into the dirt)... It turned out to be right about a foot down and quite heavy for it's size. I assumed that it was lead, but I couldn't really see, since it was absolutely coated in a thick layer of red clay. Anyway, I brought it home and cleaned it off, but I'm afraid I've accidentally rubbed off some of the white patina. I am really hoping that someone on here will be able to tell me something more about it. I'm not certain that it is a smashed bullet, but it seems about the right size to me. On one side which seems to be slightly indented, there is a raised five-pointed star toward the upper left-handed side. Across the bottom, it definitely reads "BL," possibly a full "BLIN" (although that last part is a bit difficult to read. If anyone could help, I'd greatly appreciate it!

DSCF3382.JPG DSCF3383.JPG DSCF3384.JPG DSCF3386.JPG DSCF3387.JPG DSCF3388.JPG DSCF3400.JPG DSCF3402.JPG

duggap

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Detector(s) used
Tosoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That looks somewhat like a lead seal. See if it has evidence of a wire having run thru it. If it is a bullet I would bet on it being fired.

Upvote 0

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
If it has letters printed on it, it is not a bullet. I think, like duggap, that it is a lead seal that was used on cotton, tobacco, ect. Tennessee digger

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

SidneyEllen

Aug 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whew, okay, you guys must be right! :) In one side there is a hole (right in the middle of this pic)
DSCF3387.JPG
On the other side are two smaller holes.
DSCF3384.JPG

Now the questions are: What exactly is a lead seal and possibly how old might this be? Or where might I look to find this out for myself? Thanks for your help!

Upvote 0

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Id Duggap. Lead seal for sure.............HH

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a hollow point pistol bullet that struck something very hard. The hole was probably the hollow point. Monty

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions