Possible worked banded slate? And tool

Lorapottery1

Tenderfoot
May 24, 2021
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just started searching an area for new home development going in. Came across what appears to be banded slate. Looks possibly worked. And a stone shaped.. not sure if natural. No points..yet. Maybe a promising area with alot of moved dirt. 20210616_100756.jpg20210616_100936.jpg20210616_101026.jpg20210616_101201.jpg20210616_101256.jpg20210616_101308.jpg

Upvote 0
Your stone tool is naturally formed, however it was picked up and definitely used to perforate or grind something maybe in a paint cup. There is grinding marks and the patina is worn off on the point. A nice example of something nature formed but was recognized and utilized as a tool. Good find!

Sorry, they are natural.

Also agree with natural. The 1st one looks like petrified wood.

Last edited:
Like T.H. said... Naturally formed.

Also... Neither of those are made of Slate. Keep on looking, your bound to find artifacts on your outings.

The multiple removals along the same axis your chert piece shows identify it as a small flake core. The sedimentry stone is just an interestingly shaped stone.

IMO, FWIW.

Thanks for all the feedback. The chert piece to me looks like it was worked. Want to get back out before houses go ontop of the field . Was totally untouched wooded area next to farm field. Now, a nice asphalt street. :(

Interesting finds, even if they are not artifacts. Thanks for posting.

I'm going w/Mr. Bill on this one. I see what appears to be flake removals on the first piece pictured and it looks like some type of chert. The last piece looks natural.

Thanks for all the feedback. The chert piece to me looks like it was worked. Want to get back out before houses go ontop of the field . Was totally untouched wooded area next to farm field. Now, a nice asphalt street. :(

Try to find the little flakes from knapped flint, That is usually the first indicator of a site will be the debatage. Good luck and welcome to T-Net!

There is alot of moved dirt from the construction site. Im going back this weekend so will look for flakes
Suppose to hsve heavy rain, maybe will produce something. Keep you posted.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back