Post your first metal detecting story

wwace

Jan 4, 2006
Anchorage AK
Detector(s) used
Exterra 70, Etrac, AT Pro
Sorta long one; When I was 23 I bought a Ruger .22 MKII target pistol in McGrath AK while I was there working. In 1990 I was snowmobile riding near Hurricane Gulch about 20 miles south of Mt Denali and at the end of the ride I noticed that my pistol was gone. I carried it in a nylon holster on my snowsuit belt and the holster had twisted, bye bye pistol. Well, I went back and followed my trails untill I came to where I had shot a Ptarmigan(with a shotgun) about 40ft from the track I was on and about 15ft from the trail was the tiniest black spot in the snow, I walked over to the spot and picked up my pistol out of the snow and my buddy couldn't believe it, what luck.
Part 2: A year or so later I was riding around our cabin at Lake Susitna and did the same thing, I am a slow learner I guess, well this time I looked and couldn't find it. Went back to Anchorage and borrowed a metal detector from a friend of a friend, I think it was a Whites, and the next weekend went back to the cabin. So the next morning after we got in I put the detector together(it came in an aluminum suitcase) and walked downhill towards the lake where this bump I had sorta jumped was. Mind you there is at least two feet of snow but I didn't know any better. So I go a little ways and get a signal, tin can, at least 30 inches deep. I go downhill another 40-50 ft and get another signal, yep bingo my pistol, found again in deep snow under improbable circumstances. Mind you I had rode more than 10 miles each time I had lost the gun, it just happened that there was a likely place for me to lose it and that's where I found it each time. I cannot remember what model detector I borrowed but I remember the guy had it to find gold and was worried out of his mind about letting us borrow it. (i'll ask my buddy to ask the owner what it was)
So that is my story and the reason the gun was bad luck is that it was stolen when my home was burglarized (I had a good idea by whom, ex wifes friends)April 1 1994 and it has not been recovered. Funny but the gun is also probably my best find and I found it twice.
(pistol can be seen in this old pic)

Attachments

• Scan004.jpg
    Scan004.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 132
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread