Pot bottom

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the first pot bottom I've ever found and I've found a lot of pottery in my creek, needless to say I was excited to find it. Now if someone could tell me why they made their pottery pointed on the bottom that would be great. :laughing7:

Pot bottom outside.jpg Pot bottom inside.jpg Pot bottom Inside side view.jpg

Upvote 0

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find sis! I think the pointed area may be the very bottom but not sure from your pics. I have a piece very similar but maybe smaller. I can't tell how big your's is. Mine has a small portion of the bottom as well as a small portion of the rim--both still attached to the side as one piece. Show me specifically where you think the bottom is on that piece please. Congrats.

Edit: I found a couple of pics of the piece I found. I'm holding the bottom between my thumb and index finger. Not much left of the bottom nor the rim.
012 (2).JPG 013 (2).JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find sis! I think the pointed area may be the very bottom but not sure from your pics. I have a piece very similar but maybe smaller. I can't tell how big your's is. Mine has a small portion of the bottom as well as a small portion of the rim--both still attached to the side as one piece. Show me specifically where you think the bottom is on that piece please. Congrats.

The first pic is the outside and where the black dot is. At the longest part it's 2.5" and the thickness is a quarter inch.

H.P.

Aug 15, 2020
Safety Harbor Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Not allN/A pottery has points or tetrapods....This is a characteristic trait of some Deptford period pottery, one thought I had was, rounded bottoms for. Carrying in bags, pointy bottoms for stability in an uneven dirt or sand floor, thinking like an indian I don’t have perfectly level tables, I do have furniture just not like modern stuff, when Europeans arrive I copy some of their styles, flat bottoms, annal rings, on bottom, just a few thoughts Carolina girl, imo....floridaboy.
7263C48D-D01A-4655-AA21-4F17B43FF743.png

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You know, I think I totally misunderstood what you were talking about. Although I can't see it very well on your piece, I see it in the examples that H.P. posted. I have also found ONE piece around here that is "pointed". It is the pot's "foot" so to speak. Some had 3 or four for stability--like many modern cast iron pots.

017.JPG 019.JPG

OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not allN/A pottery has points or tetrapods....This is a characteristic trait of some Deptford period pottery, one thought I had was, rounded bottoms for. Carrying in bags, pointy bottoms for stability in an uneven dirt or sand floor, thinking like an indian I don’t have perfectly level tables, I do have furniture just not like modern stuff, when Europeans arrive I copy some of their styles, flat bottoms, annal rings, on bottom, just a few thoughts Carolina girl, imo....floridaboy.
View attachment 1859738

Thank you for the info. I've seen some pot feet or legs but never found any, hoping to soon. I googled it for western NC and found this, some pots were made with pointy bottoms and that's what I think it is. https://rla.unc.edu/ArchaeoNC/time/images/large/HillsboroPots.jpg

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those pots had legs! lol Yep so they don't fall over. Cool find. Portion of the leg is usually pretty thick to.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread