Pounded sites in Alabama?

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You always hear or read about the "pounded" sites in other states. Does Alabama have any pounded sites? Seems that the relic hunters in this state are either so isolated or disconnected its impossible have any idea where the "pounded sites" might be. I would love to work some of the pounded or worked out sites, since I can't seem to locate anything but dry holes anyway. I'm getting tired of having to travel to TN to find anything. There was Civil War history here, right?

ALABEAR

Mar 20, 2005
Bridgeport, Alabama
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD and some TESORO'S
It don't look like anyone is going to answer you, but I have already told you about the spot in Scottsboro. I still have not went down there myself. Hell I have been hunting it Tennessee too, but I am close to the Tennesee line anyway. Good Luck finding you a hunting spot. Alabear ???

OP
OP
B

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Alabear. I think I'm gonna hit that site after Deer Season and see if there's still anything there. I have another site near Stevenson I'm just waiting for the soybeans to be harvested off of. So, guess I have a couple of prospects, but nothing certain just yet. Good luck to you friend.

OP
OP
B

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Relic Hunting in N. Alabama

Is anyone finding any sites that are not on a pretty good hill or mountainside? Seems the Union Army tried to camp mostly on pretty good vantage points. I just wonder what they did when they were on the march and not near a good rise. Haven't found any CSA sites so I don't know about them.

fireman4youu

Oct 11, 2006
Millbrook, AL
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Relic Hunting in N. Alabama

BamaBill said:
Is anyone finding any sites that are not on a pretty good hill or mountainside? Seems the Union Army tried to camp mostly on pretty good vantage points. I just wonder what they did when they were on the march and not near a good rise. Haven't found any CSA sites so I don't know about them.

I have had a little luck with a few sites along the AL river, in montgomery.

Jonathan James

Jul 19, 2009
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, White's Spectrum XLT, White's Quantum2, White's Eagle2, White's Surf PI, White's 4900, White's 5900 Di/Pro SL, White's Classic ID, White's Coinmaster 1, Garrett AT Pro, Tesor
Just think about it, where would you wanna be? In the valley between two hills, or on the hilltop?
I do know that there was a significant battle in or around New Market, Alabama.
I have found colonial relics in that area but nothing civil war related.
Research should point you in the right directon.

wyattearp

Greenie
Dec 24, 2011
South Alabama
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-7, CZ-3D, CZ-70 Pro, F75, F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bamabill,
You might consider along the lower Alabama and Tombigbee rivers. Starting just above Clairborn lock and Dam and work your way South to Mobile. Look up and research old river crossings, ferry's mostly. Most still have the same name as they did back to 1812 during the Indian wars when they were used. A lot of settlers were crossing the Alabama and Tombigbee going West around 1812 and a lot of them settled after they crossed the Alabama. Some Confederate activity was also with the crossings and some camp sites and with a lot of leg work you might get lucky. A lot of settlements and 1812 stuff. Best part is most of it's unhunted....
Good Luck

salvage diver

Feb 11, 2012
Montgomery, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites-DFX & Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are many places all over Alabama, the last battle of the war was at Blakley and over 3000 troops marched from Ft Morgan to Blakely, it is a state park now but the surrounding are is not, the union route taken by the union troops goes along the river and I have a boat we could use ( maybe others would be interested as well) also there are the gold filled cooking pots along the old RR tracks on the Georgia side. If you dive the Alabama river is covered in old wrecks, mobile bay, Ft Morgan was the largest Naval Battle of the War. Old churches and civil war hospitals in Lownds county and all over the state. I am new to detecting but not history. but as far as pounded sites I am no help because as I mintioned I am a newbie

bay pirate

Aug 26, 2012
Mobile Bay
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro
image-2928615980.jpg

I'm down on fowl river, al. Basically southwest mobile bay by dauphin island. Been to blakley many times with some nice finds. I'm in also, saddle up

x#1

Greenie
Aug 27, 2013
cherokee county,al.
Detector(s) used
jetco huntmaster gtx ,garrett treasure ace 100, and a tesoro cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

in cherokee county,3 miles east of cedar bluff, union general abel streight had to surrender to nathan bedford forest even though the yank had 3 times the number of troops.oh yeah.gen w.t.sherman,surely you guys have heard of him,had an encampment at gaylesville which numbered close to 60,000 troops.it is said that from this camp,the beginning of the end of the civil war began as sherman started from gaylesville on his march through ga.

the point to this old thread is that there was plenty of civil war activity/skirmishes not on a pretty good hill in north bama and i felt compelled to advise that when not on the march,the yankees were either being out general'ed or making big plans-

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When I originally posted this, it was out of frustration with hunting a lot of ground and not finding anything CW related. Still don't have any sites to add to this, but I never intended to insinuate that only N. Bama was worth searching, just that my circle of reasonable areas to search didn't seem to have anything I could find and because I was searching without anyone saying, "hey dude, don't waste your time over there, that's been hunted hard for the last 20 plus years," I've been wasting a lot of valuable hunting time and I'm sure I've even passed over or near a site or two because relic hunters just don't talk to each other.

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Long Island at Bridgeport was a good place to hunt c.w. relics at one time. You had to walk across the railroad bridge. Its probably highly illegal these days thanks to TVA

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bama I have never hunted in your state but spend the majority of my time researching to make my field time the most productive THAT BEING SAID --- I recall a post on T net about a member who found Texas Cavalry Stuff along the AL /GA border , Seemed that Terrys Rangers out of TX , traveled along a route along the border going to assist in TN Might be something to look out for Also I am a firm believer that nothing is POUNDED OUT each year the detectors get better and better so stuff that was passed over is now easier to find ---------- If I can find the thread I will link it to you

OP
OP
B

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Citiboy289, that would be great. Part of my frustration was as the result of finding many Alabama sites I tracked down through research had been obliterated by housing developments or people terraforming the land. The most frustrating example occurred when I went out to a site around Elkmont, where I determined there was a small long occupancy Union fort. I got permission to hunt, spent most of the day out there and found nothing. On returning to the landowner, I found out by talking to her, that her husband had bulldozed the site in the 1950s, knocked down and buried the remains of the fort. Since then, I've been sure to ask about landscaping when trying to find a site, especially one on an exposed area and sure enough it seems that a lot of people in Bama like to play with bulldozers.

OP
OP
B

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm guessing that none of the relic hunters ever read this sub-forum. Has anyone found a civil war-era site in Alabama, in the last few years? Seems like every site I've investigated has been practically hunted out or the land changed.

DixieLandMan

Sep 18, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202, White's MXT, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't ever found one but I'm game. There are a few around here (North Alabama) but a lot are on private land.

OP
OP
B

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I haven't ever found one but I'm game. There are a few around here (North Alabama) but a lot are on private land.

Private land has never been a problem as we've always been able to get permission. Actually prefer private land, less chance of running afoul of some bureaucrat or gov't agency.

Houmadigs

Greenie
Nov 2, 2015
Houma area
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Vulcan 360 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you still around Bill? Or anyone for that matter around Scottsboro Al. Just got a sweet permission on an estate built late 1890's. Possibly another 200+ acres after deer season. Would like to have someone to go with.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread