What's new

POW/MIA Bracelet

ks coyote

Hero Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2012
Messages
630
Reaction score
384
Golden Thread
0
Location
Auburn Kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX x 2, XLT, SL 90, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Spent a few hours at my military site and the only keeper was this Vietnam era
POW/MIA bracelet. Felt honored to have found it.
 

Attachments

  • MIA Bracelet.webp
    MIA Bracelet.webp
    40.1 KB · Views: 172
Upvote 20
That is absolutely a find I'd do some serious research on. Maybe he's home, maybe he's not, maybe he has dependents and descendants who would cherish it.

Congrats on the find
 
Great save, I would certainly want that ii he was my father, brother, child. Good Luck on the return. It will mean a lot more to relatives than you.
 
Excellent find,, I wish you luck in trying to return it.
As a Vietnam Veteran, I know that his family will be overwhelmed with gratitude if you can get it to them
 
Great save and good luck returning it to his family.

Regards + HH

Bill
 
Pretty cool.
And a coincidence the name is the same as a M.A.S.H. character.
 
He was never married so nobody close. Maybe donate it to the local military museum.
 
He was never married so nobody close. Maybe donate it to the local military museum.

Wow! If he was never married, there must have been someone. His parents wouldn't have been living at the military base. Someone cared enough to wear the bracelet.
 
Huneycutt

On November 10, 1967, Major Charles J. Huneycutt, USAF, was shot down over North Vietnam while flying an F4C on a night operational mission. Major Huneycutt is buried in Arlington National Cemetery. He is survived by his mother, Mrs. Alberta Huneycutt of Morehead City, NC and four sisters and their families.
 
From that link, the lady names 3 sisters:

I have three sisters. Mabel Jane Huneycutt Earle (Duncan) in Va., Alice R Huneycutt in Fl,, and Michelle Huneycutt Johnson in Conn. Jerry was considered one of the top young pilots in the country by many
 
This is apparently the 4th sister's name:

Dottie Huneycutt Burnside
 
Even though I'm a finders/keepers guy, that is one item I would try to return. I, too, am a Nam Vet.
 
Several years ago, there was a small volunteer group near the DC area who you could send little mementos like this to and they would personally take and leave them on the headstone and email you a photograph or two.

Of course, last year Arlington cracked down on the practice and pretty much said "flowers only."


~Tejaas~
 
Even though I'm a finders/keepers guy, that is one item I would try to return. I, too, am a Nam Vet.

As am I.

That's why I had to find out who mattered to him. This would be one of the most incredible Honorable Mentions I've ever seen.
 
To the previous posters in this thread who chewed dirt in Vietnam:

Thank you for your sacrifices, and I'm thankful that we did not need to memorialize YOUR names on a KIA bracelet.

As a multiple-tour combat vet in the 2 most recent theaters of conflict, i look up to y'all and will never forget the ones who came and went before.

Oh, and FIRST TEAM leads the way!
8ae31bae3cd5651b4338f6d098cae4b0.jpg


Haha!




~Tejaas~
 
Last edited:
I remember these bracelets as a kid back in the early 70s--my sister wore one. Has this bracelet been holed? I seem to remember that if the serviceman was confirmed as KIA that the bracelet was supposed to be holed and worn on a chain. I didn't realize until I read the link you posted that they created many bracelets with the same name. Nevertheless I'm sure the family would be thrilled to receive this bracelet. I look forward to hearing about your progress in contacting them.
 
The link that ks coyote provided, shows that there were tons of people who had Major Huneycutt's bracelet.... So I am not so sure that this is as much of a personal item as it seems....

Cool find none-the-less.
 
The link that ks coyote provided, shows that there were tons of people who had Major Huneycutt's bracelet.... So I am not so sure that this is as much of a personal item as it seems....

Cool find none-the-less.
Yes,, you're absolutely correct. There is no way of finding out who the original owner of this bracelet was. I wore one in the 70's also.
If I were to find one and return it to a surviving family member, I would do so out of remembrance and respect.
Never again will one generation of veterans, abandon, another.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom