Powder Flask (half-piece)

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Due to recent powder flask examples posted here, I decided to show an example I dug from 27-inches depth, in a Florida 1850's fort site. I was using a Minelab Explorer with a 15-inch w-o-t coil. Not found so recently. Therefore, for my other relics, refer to the Relic Hunting Forum for some other examples of Florida-dug items.

pflask-2.jpg

Attachments

• pflask-1.jpg
    pflask-1.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 111
Upvote 0

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool flask. I like the military/patriotic motif.

OP
OP
Southern_Digger

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Did you say 27"? :icon_scratch:

Yes! Actually dug deeper than that. Was removing a handful of fort nails and musket balls close to 18" when I noticed I was in a dump. Dug to 3-ft deep removing fort debris; food bone and a few buttons-quite deep. Was lying on my stomach and reaching into the hole with a pinpointer to locate small targets--including primer caps and buckshot--when I got a reading on the side of the hole. Widened the hole and saw a peice of the flask sticking out of the sand. It was at 27-inched below finish grade-measured. One day, while pinpointing a musket ball; a second nearby signal picked up by my pinpointer turned out to be a seated liberty dime.Notably, finish grade on this site is a nice sodded yard of 1 1/2 acres. I searched the area and located the site in 1987--once was an orange grove which was leveled and a house constructed thereon. Owner allowed me to dig and measure-in (map) the layout of all finds. Worked on it for two years quietly, at owners request, eventually bringing in a friend to assist. During that time, My friend dug just over 60 buttons and four seated liberty dimes. I was on site longer and dug more than 200 uniform buttons (Infy; Artillery; Rifleman's and a rare Corps of Engineers gold plated officers button. Only one Engineer officer--a lieutenant--was on site and in the region during the 1850's to make a military map, so we know whose coat it came from. We also found numerous undergarment pewter buttons and a few glass buttons and a rubber button or two. My friend dug a one-of-a kind button with a sutlers company name--I haven't researched it as of yet--may be English. Also, I got clay pipe bowls-one has an anchor and a crown and 6-inches of remaining stem--stamped Glasgow; rebuilt a few ceramic bowls; part of a clay wine jug (spout missing). Also, dug a pair of leg irons; shoulder scale epaulettes; part of a powder horn; musket lockplates; a fire melted officers eagle buckle; melted brass buttons; and a perfectly complete Jeff Davis hat plate. In this same area , where the fort caught on fire, and 15 years before my digs there, a neighbor digging in the grove uncovered two fire-damaged muskets -one was placed in a museum. Other finds include numerous small brass frame buckles from cartridge boxes; packs; hat straps; ect.. Dug a half dozen bottles; some brass company numbers (from hats); two iron padlocks (one has a definite brass emblem of a railroad engine); candlestick holder; skeletal remains of a mule or a horse-just kept a few teeth; a surprisingly few musket balls (less than 75) a dozen minnie balls; numerous percussion caps-fired and unfired; some tools. Almost forgot.. also, found a large cent; a 3-cent piece; four of five seated liberty half dimes and a seated liberty dime. Also, a woman's silver ring. I'm sure there are other items that I don't recall--not in front of me at this time. I researched the fort site history and learned a skirmish site occured nearby. Found that and removed a bit over 100 musket balls; one Infantry button and a finial to a sword or knife sheath- the skirmish site covered a 6-8 acre area. Today it is all orange groves. I will write about this site someday and publish more photos.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread