What's new

Pre 1960 Nickels?

klava

Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2007
Messages
432
Reaction score
3
Golden Thread
0
Location
Them there hills!
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistidor
Hello I am new to CRH and have noticed many of you include pre 60 nickels in your list. Could someone explain to me the reason to keep them? Also when searching nickels are there anything else I should look for beside the obvious ie. War and Buffalo. Thanks a bunch and HH

-K
 
Upvote 0
I think for most it is all about the mintage totals.

Some pre 1960 nickels have mintages totals of less than 10 million. Even the high numbers are still mostly less than 100 million. That is "low" compared to modern mintages of 300-700 million.

Others use it as a way to judge if they have gone through the coins before (ie. no pre 1960's) and that is it is time to change coin sources.

Personally, unless it is a pre 1940 or a 1940's S mint mark or 1950, I don't bother.

HH.
 
I keep all 55 and prior. I have about 900 right now, when I get to 1000 I will try putting them on ebay and see if they go for anything. I have many S mints and quite a few 39 and 39 dates.
 

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom