Pre-Freeze Hunt - Nice Navy Button!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got out this morning to a favourite site and stuck to the edge of the field. During summer the grass is too long to detect the edge but it's flat now. Found a few scraps and just as it started to rain I found the navy button! I think there will be some gilt left on the front as the back is still quite golden. If this is my last land hunt for the season I will be happy...always glad to add a button to the military collection!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417876317.218284.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417876333.960365.jpg

Upvote 8

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice recovery, good to see you are braving the elements. It its looking good for a warming trend by late next week so don't pack up the tector yet buddy.
ZDD

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice recovery, good to see you are braving the elements. It its looking good for a warming trend by late next week so don't pack up the tector yet buddy.
ZDD

Nope, not packing it in yet! The top two inches were frozen but still easy digging...actually my favourite conditions for detecting!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great result Romeo! That's a hell of a hunt. You spoke of the tall grass at the site. I have so many areas that were too overgrown this summer to really hunt. So early spring I'm going to take a week or two off and hit some of these areas. It kills you to know there's prob great stuff hiding under all the thick stuff. Luckily Mother Nature will do our work if were patient enough. Hope you get a couple more hunts in buddy

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great result Romeo! That's a hell of a hunt. You spoke of the tall grass at the site. I have so many areas that were too overgrown this summer to really hunt. So early spring I'm going to take a week or two off and hit some of these areas. It kills you to know there's prob great stuff hiding under all the thick stuff. Luckily Mother Nature will do our work if were patient enough. Hope you get a couple more hunts in buddy

Thanks! I'm pretty sure there's another land hunt in store this year but even after the inevitable freeze I'll be able to hunt the beaches...in this area there are just as many finds on the beach as on dry land!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! I'm pretty sure there's another land hunt in store this year but even after the inevitable freeze I'll be able to hunt the beaches...in this area there are just as many finds on the beach as on dry land!

Yeah AQUA killed it on the beach last year. Anybody heard from him? I've emailed him and not heard anything back. Hoping he's ok. Been a long time since he's posted

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow. Never would have known that had any gilt on it. Very nice looking old button.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that Old button turned out nice , & a great back side as well. LOL

Davers

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Identified as a 1774-1787 Royal Navy Captain and Commander's Button...Iron Patch pointed me in the right direction and I found this site...little more than halfway down.

George Washington Inaugural Buttons ? * 1748 ? 1787 *The American Continental NavyThe Royal Navy & The British MarinesFrench Navy & Marine Buttons

He's dating it from the book, so is right.... and looking again without having any context we probably should be considering it more as just a Naval officer button than a Captain, because it was adopted and used widely for other ranks in 1787. So.... you'd really have to dig a bone back to say it was likely worn by a Captain.... or if the site had an early extremely tight time frame that you were very sure of, and that's near impossible, if not impossible, for the type of digging we do.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on getting out there and digging. Nice finds!

That looks so cool the gold gilt still in the pattern with the green patina back ground.

Doesn't AQUA do commercial fishing? If he does that maybe where he is.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeap nice complete early example, I don't see too many myself & it would be a good find for a day out.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice one to add to the collection, it's always nice that the shank is intact on a button. Hope you get out once again for a field hunt as it's pretty tough digging here right now, frozen down a foot already in gravel on the north side.

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice way to finish it off if it ends up that way, but if we get those temps next week I'm sure you'll be able to be digging down there!

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Nice way to coast into home this fall

i remember so well seeing them found an then finding one myself; I think I only have a couple from that era.
It seemed they were oh so rare then, but I've been seeing more and more now

nice find

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well that hunt turned out for you…nothing wrong with adding another button to the collection of growing buttons…is surprising at times how much gilt is actually left on some of those buttons…Great recovery….

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Love those early navy buttons. That gilted anchor and rope overlaid on that nice green patina makes for a great presentation. WTG!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread