Pre-Revolutionary War Pewter Plate for an Extremely Low Price!

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just bought this plate at a yard sale. I saw the old marks on the back and knew it was pretty old (I was thinking early 1800's) . Asked the price from the person running the sale, they said $5. Could not resist such a low price, so I bought it and brought it home. Did a little research on the touchmarks on the back and was pleasantly surprised.

oldpewterplatetouchmarks2.JPG
oldpewterplatetouchmarks1.JPG
pewterplatetouchmarks3.JPG
These are the touchmarks on the back. On the top it says "INoWATTS" under a globe. To right it has a A Crowned rose with "LONDON" underneath.
Under those marks it has a series of square shaped marks that picture left to right: I.W, (I think) a globe, a lion, and a leopard.

mmarkonplate.JPG
Unfortunately, someone carved an "M" or a "W" in the side of the plate

oldpewterplatefront.JPG
This is the front. The scratches that show it was used is was really makes me think this is an original. It measured 8 1/4 inches across.

These are a few sites that helped me to find out what the plate was. I have figured out that it was made by John Watts between 1725-1766.

Large Pewter Charger, English, By John Watts, c. 1725-1760 London 18c Antique | eBay

An Pewter Export Basin by John Watts

https://www.rubylane.com/item/169093-1562/Circa-1725-Pewter-Charger-John-Watts

This last link shows a book with makers marks, with the "INoWATTS" mark that was John Watts' makers mark.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting,

VTColonialDigger

Upvote 17

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
''Unfortunately, someone carved an "M" or a "W" in the side of the plate''

That is NOT unfortunate it points towards it being used by a soldier of the name 'M' or 'W' on campaign so as not to be confused with others. Part of its history.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
''Unfortunately, someone carved an "M" or a "W" in the side of the plate''

That is NOT unfortunate it points towards it being used by a soldier of the name 'M' or 'W' on campaign so as not to be confused with others. Part of its history.

Could not agree more! That's a great piece with a nice personal story and the initials to prove it. I'd say a very nice find

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the nice find! :occasion14:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Killer plate! The carved initial is a really nice personalized touch! I was fortunate enough to dig a pewter plate on an excursion with Ahab, and found out something very interesting. Apparently these plates were so well made, and thick, that they were virtually 'indestructible'. In fact, not many were thrown out for that exact reason. They survived well even during the rigors of war. One of the favorite features of my Plate are the cut marks from use. I see yours has them, and was a well used Plate. Great Find!!

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a lot of respect for your passion for history.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NICE CCCCCCCCCCCCHARGER.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread