Preble county ohio hopewell indian site

Bmorgan3

Nov 12, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi ive found an untouched indian camp in the past year ive found over 50 points 30 hammer stones one axe and one celt is there anyone that has experience in this??? I would love to get someone who knows what theyre doing so we can start moving some dirt.. this is my first year hunting and honestly have no idea what im doing serious inquiries only please…anything anyone find they can keep i only ask for your knowledge flint types, time period best places to look ect thank you for reading

Upvote 7

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
No and im completely open to having breakfast or something.. ive been hunting arrowheads for a year now and what ive found has been on the surface… ive got permission to over 3000 acres here in preble county ohio… i know i could learn from someone experienced is all…
I always make sure I’m there 1st so I can see what they drove up in and watch their body movements as they get out. I also have another friend ready to text me an emergency call just in case I need an excuse to leave and head out and away from the person. I’ve met and gone with 4 different people treasure hunting. So far so good. But always a good idea to be careful. Good Luck

OP
OP
Bmorgan3

Bmorgan3

Nov 12, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That alone puts u ahead of most hunters!!! Keep track how long it takes to find another like it.
I for sure will like i said i really think im onto something huge here… im the first to hunt this land ever.. and supposedly theres a lottle unknown indian battle that happend somewhere on this creek.. id like to start digging but hve be clue where to start.. everything ive found has been on the surface

OP
OP
Bmorgan3

Bmorgan3

Nov 12, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I for sure will like i said i really think im onto something huge here… im the first to hunt this land ever.. and supposedly theres a lottle unknown indian battle that happend somewhere on this creek.. id like to start digging but hve be clue where to start.. everything ive found has been on the surface
The gorget i found planting a hosta lol

GDub62

Feb 2, 2022
Georgia
Like Newman said, perfect they go for a lot of money, any damage drops value quickly, I personally would sell unless you have no interest in artifacts.

Sorry, I missed your last groups of pictures so did not see the best you had till others commented.

Artifacts go for what someone else is willing to pay and what seller is willing to accept.

I turned down several offers on my water bottle, last offer was $5,000. I had it appraised from pictures as it does not leave my home with the bowl and ax found with it at $7,500 5 years ago from 2 different sites. Unless I break it, it just goes up. I have standing offer from son of a 40 year friend who collects, he offered the full $7500, I declined but I did promise him first option when I sell. I have no family interested in my collection.

Not trying to hijack yor thread and will delete pictures with no hard feelings at all if any object..

View attachment 2131170

View attachment 2131176 View attachment 2131177
You actually found these? Digging I assume. Priceless imo

OP
OP
Bmorgan3

Bmorgan3

Nov 12, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You actually found these? Digging I assume. Priceless imo
No i onlt found the gorget by chance when i was putting hostas out i did dig out that area and didnt find anything else i assume someone found this one here and lost it in the tall grass from where i found it

OP
OP
Bmorgan3

Bmorgan3

Nov 12, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like Newman said, perfect they go for a lot of money, any damage drops value quickly, I personally would sell unless you have no interest in artifacts.

Sorry, I missed your last groups of pictures so did not see the best you had till others commented.

Artifacts go for what someone else is willing to pay and what seller is willing to accept.

I turned down several offers on my water bottle, last offer was $5,000. I had it appraised from pictures as it does not leave my home with the bowl and ax found with it at $7,500 5 years ago from 2 different sites. Unless I break it, it just goes up. I have standing offer from son of a 40 year friend who collects, he offered the full $7500, I declined but I did promise him first option when I sell. I have no family interested in my collection.

Not trying to hijack yor thread and will delete pictures with no hard feelings at all if any object..

View attachment 2131170

View attachment 2131176 View attachment 2131177
Nice finds man!!!! No im greatful to see other people’s collections.. like i said ive been into this for a year…any info i can get will be retained lol.. id like to start digging but uve zero idea where to start…

OP
OP
Bmorgan3

Bmorgan3

Nov 12, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpg

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
Nice finds man!!!! No im greatful to see other people’s collections.. like i said ive been into this for a year…any info i can get will be retained lol.. id like to start digging but uve zero idea where to start…
High ground close to a water source from what I’ve been told. I don’t care to dig myself. Is there a good creek on the property?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind they needed fresh water so close to running water, springs, creeks, streams and lakes is a good start. Camps in the northern regions looked for wind breaks and firewood close.

One of the areas I use to hunt had a creek and stream that merged, cliffs and hills on the north and west side, it was in countryside, and full of artifacts, in fact my first point came from corn field in the fall. I found the owner and traded him a dozen pairs of work gloves and a dozen "Call Before You Dig" ball caps in exchange for permission to walk his fields.

I worked for a Telcom fiber company and our fiber ran down the gravel road that cut through the land. After research I found it use to be an old wagon road in the mid 1800s and prior there was a big indian village there.

After a flash flood had taken the top soil off you could see large circles with dark spot of black dirt and pieces of Charcoal when you dug in it, the circles were the old teepee circles (circles were actual holes filled in spaced about 3-4 foot a part in circle, we figured that was where the poles went and dark circles in center with chunks of charcoal were the fire pits. Cirvles were different sizes.

i found hundreds and hundreds of points there over 20 year period.

OP
OP
Bmorgan3

Bmorgan3

Nov 12, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
High ground close to a water source from what I’ve been told. I don’t care to dig myself. Is there a good creek on the property?
Two really nice creeks the issue is they did limestone quarry work on both in the mid 1800s and that messed with the oroginal creek

OP
OP
Bmorgan3

Bmorgan3

Nov 12, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two really nice creeks the issue is they did limestone quarry work on both in the mid 1800s and that messed with the oroginal creek
Theres is also a fresh water spring that runs between what i think was the camp

OP
OP
Bmorgan3

Bmorgan3

Nov 12, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind they needed fresh water so close to running water, springs, creeks, streams and lakes is a good start. Camps in the northern regions looked for wind breaks and firewood close.

One of the areas I use to hunt had a creek and stream that merged, cliffs and hills on the north and west side, it was in countryside, and full of artifacts, in fact my first point came from corn field in the fall. I found the owner and traded him a dozen pairs of work gloves and a dozen "Call Before You Dig" ball caps in exchange for permission to walk his fields.

I worked for a Telcom fiber company and our fiber ran down the gravel road that cut through the land. After research I found it use to be an old wagon road in the mid 1800s and prior there was a big indian village there.

After a flash flood had taken the top soil off you could see large circles with dark spot of black dirt and pieces of Charcoal when you dug in it, the circles were the old teepee circles (circles were actual holes filled in spaced about 3-4 foot a part in circle, we figured that was where the poles went and dark circles in center with chunks of charcoal were the fire pits. Cirvles were different sizes.

i found hundreds and hundreds of points there over 20 year period.
Your site sounds exactly like mine

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind creeks, streams and rivers change course, they found a large river boat several miles from Missouri river in middle of Missouri in a farmers field while digging and itvwas full of artifacts because it sank quickly.

UTDev78

Greenie
Jan 17, 2024
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro and V3i
Nice finds there! I do a ton of hunting creeks in Montgomery and Warren Counties near Dayton. Most finds are from the archaic period, some Woodland also. I find more tools than points, but it sure is a lot of fun.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread