Predator 2

Doug Watson

Jul 29, 2010
I haven't used the Predator 2 but I do have his Excalibur Highbanker and his AU Trap sluice and love them. I did make a spray bar change to the highbanker but the sluices work good. Any gas pump I can think of would put out way too much volume for the sluice you're looking at. One other thing is that if you live in the country like I do and have a well with a pump using a garden hose doesn't work. The pressure changes in the system mess up the flow. You get it just right and the pump comes on and blows everything out. Same with the blue bowl and other cleanup devices. I don't think you'll be dissapointed with his sluices, as they recover really fine gold as well as the course, easy clean up and are sturdy. Doug.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Doug for the input on the McKirk sluices, I've never used one, the McKirk folks have always been helpful and I will eventually buy one of their units. Probably about the time I've had enough with hauling in my 11 pound A52 Keene, I think the AU Trap is around 7 or 8 lbs.

With the AU Trap, is it easy to pick it up to dump the concentrates? How do you go about it and what bucket types do you use if any?

I purchased my A52 in August of this year and immediately used it incorrectly. I found a blue recycle waste can at Home Depot that the A52 went into easily and went right down to the bottom without stretching the walls of the bucket. The regular 5 gallon bucket does not accept the A52 well, the A52 is wider than the bucket, about half way down from the top of the bucket the A52 jams against the sides of the bucket. I managed to break the sidewall of one 5 gallon bucket. There are no problems with fit using the blue recycle waste can. From what I've learned on this site on how to properly setup a sluice box I know it will be much easier for me in 2011 to prospect.

I modified my A52 by adding two aluminum bars across the flare, I put a sorting screen between the two bars and classify my rough materials right there though I'm not certain I will do that long term. I'm still learning how to NOT overwork myself prospecting and any leaning for long periods is not good for the human body. By holding onto one of the bars it makes it much, much easier to lift the box out of the water, an unexpected bonus of the modification. Also I've found that some form of improvised chair to sit on out in the stream can be helpful while adding the screened sample to the sluice.

Have you had any problems with breakage of the McKirk ABS sluice boxes? The McKirk's have the boulder holder bars and these must help to reinforce the plastic boxes, any comment about the bars or any difficulties using or caring for the boxes?

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experiences, 63bkpkr

nuggy

Aug 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, had; Minelab Eureka, Bounty Hunter, Garrett, Fisher and Whites.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys, Doug, if you want to get around the pressure changes in your garden hose, have you considered installing an ajax valve in the line or putting up a small tank with a ballcock on the feed side then use gravity for pressure? I would like to try one a them blue bowl things, they look good and simple. Nuggy

Doug Watson

Jul 29, 2010
The AU Trap sluice is surprisingly stout. Thicker material than I was expecting. Very easy cleanup. I use a standard bucket and just tilt the corner of the sluice into it and flip some water up and everything goes into the bucket. I've had an A52 and a Le Trap and I like this sluice far better than any I've used yet. I really like the reverse flair as it drops out anything that might have got past the top. On the way into the creek with it I was carring it by the rock support and fell with all my weight on the rock bar. I thought ok, there goes that but it didn't really even bend the bar. Again, I was suprised at the thickness of the plastic, as it's very rigid and no twisting or bending. I'm not trying to push Angus MacKirks products, just calling it as I see it. As I said in my other post, I modified the highbanker right off the bat. Didn't like the spray bar at all and the legs are too light weight but the sluice boxes are slick. Back to the sluice, I did buy one of his Bucket Grizzlys to classify the material before I run it through the sluice. The Bucket Grizzly is also very stout. Was going to build one but this was easier. As for the hose pressure problem, I bought a bilge pump years ago, in fact I'm on my second one and no more problems. It's also portable that way if I want to take it anywhere. Doug.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread