Preparing for the summer ..

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
Hello, everyone on here.. It's been a while since i post. But i been planning on going back to DR and continue dredging.

I am thinking on building a portable electric winch with about 12,000lb capacity since these rocks was too large for my hand winch. They actually look like small cars in the area i was working.

Can this winch do me any justice ?
Tuff Stuff Xtreme 12500 lb Winch Waterproof 12000 lbs Wireless Snatch Block | eBay

Also could a alternator with a 5hp engine should give me enough power to charge about two batteries to keep the winching running smoothly ?

What im planning on doing is finishing my 6" dredge because my 4" dredge was taking by the river flood. I havent never dredge with a 6" dredge before but i hope this is what it takes to go into production mode.

This is some of the gold from my previous 4" dredge .
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1426627495.451569.jpg

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The winch should work as long as the boulders don't weigh more than 16000lbs. The alternator will work fine, be sure it has a built in voltage regulator, and I think it should work even with a smaller motor to turn it but, I'm no auto expert.

Nice gold by the way, I can only dream of stuff like that where I live.

OP
OP
principedeleon

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
Yeah i wanted to go electric since the winches are cheaper then hydrualic. But a hydraulic winch might be lighter and more steady. So im still trying to figure out whats the best route to take.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah i wanted to go electric since the winches are cheaper then hydrualic. But a hydraulic winch might be lighter and more steady. So im still trying to figure out whats the best route to take.

Winches Plus

Or these winches are available at many mining stores or on the icmj

Or just blow them to pieces

OP
OP
principedeleon

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
Im trying to be able to use it underwater and not spend over a $1,000. Im looking forward on building something my own. Trying to acheive the less weight possible. I could build under that budget electric but carrying these batteries, engine and winch is going to add a lot of weight to the system. Which i would pay more to make things lighter and better at the end of the day.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one in my movie is a gear driven winch with a 3 horse motor. You could easily build one yourself. There are plans available here on the net. electric is so heavy...

OP
OP
principedeleon

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
Thank you, thats exactly the kind i think i need to make myself. I'll see if i find those plans.

OP
OP
principedeleon

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
I havent been able to find anything yet.. I did find a lot if pictures and topics but not on building one. Supposelly you could also attach a gear box also to it.

Bill_saf

Jul 3, 2014
w/c Illinois
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
just looked on the net for winch builds and plans just type in gear driven winch plans. you tube has some there to

specksandflecks

Nov 13, 2009
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Would it be possible to use the Sierra Blaster with a Griphoist and some blocks? Maybe some Amsteel for the line? That probably wouldn't be any less expensive and you would still need power to drill holes. Might be better portability and less operating costs?

OP
OP
principedeleon

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
I havent found any plans on how to build it part by part.

I did found a video that teaches you how to calculate the total gear ratio. Which after understanding a bit i think i could calculate the total gear ratio of a winch .

So lets say i have a 60-1 gear reducer to a 9-1 gear ratio coming from two 3-1 from the sprockets. Then i should have a 540-1 gear ratio .

I think this is very simple after you understand and you could build yourself a winch im no time.

Also i found s couple of videos of homemadr winches made with chainsaws and a electric winch. Maybe a larger electric winch could be attached to a 3-5 hp engine . It will be far easier to build . Since it haves already a 200-1 gearbox which with a 2-1 pully you can deliver a 400-1 gear ratio from the engine.

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
chainsaw winches are for light weight things!!! the material used to make the framework for this is very marginal and id be scared to operate it essssssssssspecislly with those welds! if by chance that cable would snap or come undone , id HATE to be the operator standing where he would be!!!!

OP
OP
principedeleon

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
I know but i wont use a chainsaw. I would be using a small 3-5hp engine attached to a larger electric which. Plus i would replace the motor and steel cable for less weight and safety issue. Ill buy some amsteel cable for the line.

Sticks

May 22, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Dredge, M-7 wave table, Prospector Highbanker MD20
J.O.G Trommel
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know this is an older thread but you should look at what MinerRick is using, that is a wicked winch and worth every cent.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread