Preserving Acls on bottles

F

Floater

Ugghhh Jake what is the ACL stand for. is this the label ? Paper,Wax,foil,??

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Jake,

"ACL", I like that, anything with paint we call "Painted Ladies".

Found one a few years ago, a "Kayo" I remember from when I was a kid " (not much value), it was in bad shape and the paint was worn and also flaking.

Wife gave me a can, she uses for craft work, of clear craft spray, "satin clear" and gave it a real quick light coat; stopped the flaking. Not sure if this is right thing to do, would not use on a bottle that was valuable.

have a good un........
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Attachments

• KAYO.jpg
    KAYO.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 178
F

Floater

Thanks Jake. Good Site. I see that the labels are either the wax style Annealed or the earlier Pine Oil Base paints. Bothe applications were baked on but the dry time was much quicker on the neweer bottles do you know which type it is I believe if you go back to the site it give a date for the newer process. This could help in the right way to preserve it. Also the reccomendations they have on cleaning are not all theat good.They refer you to books but no online help. Definetly dont spray or laquer it . You may have to really clean the rest of the botle with whatever works while carefuly avoiding the label ares. I also wonder if heating the bottle in the oven carefully and then allowing it to cool slowly will help the label. It may actaually bring up some of the color again too. The trick here is to let the bottle cool in the oven until it is cold If you try to bring the bottle out it may cool to quickly and crack. Just a thought. Do you have any pics Jake.?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Only Thing I can tell you is DON't Wipe them in the Field, Especially If their Covered in MUD.

I ruind several Wiping them to See what they were Till It sunk in to Let them DRY COMPLETLY before Wiping the Dirt off.

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Very true! And also don't try and clean them with anything porus or rough as that will scratch it or whipe it off. Another problem i find is if the bottle is exposed to weather conditions then the acl will fade, i doubt there is a way to reverse that though :-\

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only Way to Reverse Fadeing is Repainting, Which Would Have to BE 110% Perfect to not Diminish Value.

Altho Fadeing Diminishes it too

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Heres some examples of Acls that i have found, my camera makes them look like new but really they are in not so good shape but they are all readable.?

Attachments

• bubbleup.JPG
    bubbleup.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 195
  • bubbleupacl.JPG
    bubbleupacl.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 186
  • nutmegacl.JPG
    nutmegacl.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 184
  • nutmegclubacl.JPG
    nutmegclubacl.JPG