Pressed Pennys

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Pressed Penny's

I should post this on the machine finds thread but I want to separate this from that. And that thread is already long.

I found Several of these at my dump banks every now and than. It's kinda cool since most of my kids are collecting them whenever we vacation. Cheep souvenir and they don't take up any luggage space.

On a recent trip to Greenfield Village here in Dearborn Michigan, We ran into a guy who is very serious about his collection. He also trades them on line.
He said he keeps a roll of copper Penny's just for the Penny Press whenever they vacation. Apparently there is quite a market for these.

Anyway I got a shot of the ones I pulled out of the coin return or trash at my dump banks.

Te interesting thing is that on the flip side on two of them although pressed flat and smooth you can see the image of the coin still in this case a 1970D Lincoln, (Not sure if it's small or large date?) and on another the memorial. all the others the image is obliterated.

I don't believe you can guarantee the outcome when using these presses. but thought it was kind of neat and wanted to share it with you Guy's.....and Gal's.

Any one here collect them? Do tell.

Mojo

Attachments

• flat70.jpg
    flat70.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 561
  • flat70d.jpg
    flat70d.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 565
  • pressedpennys.jpg
    pressedpennys.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 559
Upvote 0

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Pressed Penny's

Pennyworth is a major squished penny collector. I sent her a bunch I had collected a few years ago, including a squished wheatie, ouch!

I think if you put the penny in the machine with "heads" facing to the right you can guarantee the date side isn't used for the design. Finding a machine that will print on both sides is becoming a rarity these days. Check out http://www.pennycollector.com for a nationwide list of machines, though some of the info is a bit out of date.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think I have around 20 of these, most were from coin counter bags.

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE

GMan00001 said:

Me too.
They seem to be common in bags of nickels.

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other

I've picked up about a dozen over the last sixteen months. Keep hoping the kids will want to collect them...........but not likely to happen.

Nice link Immy, thanks.

klava

Mar 13, 2007
Them there hills!
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistidor

Is also amazing to me what soem of these sell for on Ebay lol. I only have one that I got pressed at Disney World years ago. Figure Ill keep it untilmy God Daughter gets a little older and give it to her. HH all. I havent been home more than 15 minutes in a month. Im really itching to find somehting lol. Plus I have an unopened Ryedale:-(

-K

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

coinmojo said:
Any one here collect them?
Not only do I collect them I also own a small business that makes them for sale in gift shops and souvenir stores.

I do not have the smashing machine, too big and heavy for where I live. I contract out with an engraver/roller for the finished product. I design the art and he rolls them only on copper cents. Very few collectors like zincs because the zinc shows through as gray stripes.

And now a shameless plug: :wink: Any one interested in my website send me a PM. I just came out with a new SMASHED penny for the USS MIDWAY in San Diego. I market and sell them a bit different. I package mine with a real photograph. No body else does it this way.

When you see the image on the back the roller has stained the penny with something to help keep the image.

I found a smashed penny last week at my coinstar it was an India Buddah with Indian words (but in our alphabet) Have to do reasearch.

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cyberdan said:
I just came out with a new SMASHED penny for the USS MIDWAY in San Diego.

Hey, I was on that ship! When I was in SD in 2006 I was on a hard target search for smashed pennies for trading purposes with Pennyworth. Found some at the Zoo and on another ship (Star of India maybe?).

In my late Dad's collection I found a smashed 1907 Indian Head penny with a Niagara Falls design.

cmhoose

May 2, 2006
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett

TXTim said:
GMan00001 said:

Me too.
They seem to be common in bags of nickels.

Exactly. You will find a lot of them in nickel bags. I just found three of them in a nickel bag last week. One was from Alaska, which I thought was pretty cool. The other two were from Panama City Beach.

Also, nice link Immy. It is pretty nice to find out where your finds come from. I just found where all three of my new rolled coins came from. The AK one is from Elmendorf AFB. I will have to dig out all of them now and find out where they came from.

HH
cmhoose

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course

I found this one in a "dream bag" that says Madonna Inn, California. That was cool to find. So was the 431 -40's and 8-64's I got out of it. I think those days are over.
HH, S_F :icon_jokercolor:

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_10.jpg
    ScreenHunter_10.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 353
OP
OP
coinmojo

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan

Silver_Fox said:
I found this one in a "dream bag" that says Madonna Inn, California. That was cool to find. So was the 431 -40's and 8-64's I got out of it. I think those days are over.
HH, S_F :icon_jokercolor:

Should give you fond memories now every time you see that pressed penny. Glad to accomidate you.

Those dream boxes/bags a far and few these days. Love finding oddball stuff.

Mojo

red949597

Nov 21, 2007
CHINQUAPIN NC
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 505, whites prizm lll

here is me and my kids collection from all over

Attachments

• token.jpg
    token.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 318

Samuelben

Dec 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter lonestar/junior

can someone please clear up what a coin counter bag is.

cmhoose

May 2, 2006
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett

preistpower said:

Coin counter bags are bags of coins out of coin counter machines. Here are a few photos:

Attachments

• Coin bag 3.jpg
    Coin bag 3.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 212
  • Coin bag 1.jpg
    Coin bag 1.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 241

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course

preistpower said:
Here is a coin counter bag I picked up last year. It had a pressed penny in it too. All the coins with the white edges are silver.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_12.jpg
    ScreenHunter_12.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 240

Samuelben

Dec 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter lonestar/junior

where cna you buy them from banks or what im new to CRh and how would you ask for them

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions