What's new

Pressed Pennys

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2008
Messages
2,484
Reaction score
10
Golden Thread
0
Location
Michigan
Pressed Penny's

I should post this on the machine finds thread but I want to separate this from that. And that thread is already long.

I found Several of these at my dump banks every now and than. It's kinda cool since most of my kids are collecting them whenever we vacation. Cheep souvenir and they don't take up any luggage space.

On a recent trip to Greenfield Village here in Dearborn Michigan, We ran into a guy who is very serious about his collection. He also trades them on line.
He said he keeps a roll of copper Penny's just for the Penny Press whenever they vacation. Apparently there is quite a market for these.

Anyway I got a shot of the ones I pulled out of the coin return or trash at my dump banks.

Te interesting thing is that on the flip side on two of them although pressed flat and smooth you can see the image of the coin still in this case a 1970D Lincoln, (Not sure if it's small or large date?) and on another the memorial. all the others the image is obliterated.

I don't believe you can guarantee the outcome when using these presses. but thought it was kind of neat and wanted to share it with you Guy's.....and Gal's.

Any one here collect them? Do tell.

Mojo
 

Attachments

  • flat70.webp
    flat70.webp
    6.1 KB · Views: 598
  • flat70d.webp
    flat70d.webp
    9.7 KB · Views: 593
  • pressedpennys.webp
    pressedpennys.webp
    15.3 KB · Views: 588
Upvote 0
Re: Pressed Penny's

Pennyworth is a major squished penny collector. I sent her a bunch I had collected a few years ago, including a squished wheatie, ouch!

I think if you put the penny in the machine with "heads" facing to the right you can guarantee the date side isn't used for the design. Finding a machine that will print on both sides is becoming a rarity these days. Check out http://www.pennycollector.com for a nationwide list of machines, though some of the info is a bit out of date.
 
Re: Pressed Penny's

I have some I have found MDing.
 
Re: Pressed Penny's

I think I have around 20 of these, most were from coin counter bags.
 
Re: Pressed Penny's

GMan00001 said:
I think I have around 20 of these, most were from coin counter bags.

Me too.
They seem to be common in bags of nickels.
 
Re: Pressed Penny's

I've picked up about a dozen over the last sixteen months. Keep hoping the kids will want to collect them...........but not likely to happen.

Nice link Immy, thanks.
 
Re: Pressed Penny's

Is also amazing to me what soem of these sell for on Ebay lol. I only have one that I got pressed at Disney World years ago. Figure Ill keep it untilmy God Daughter gets a little older and give it to her. HH all. I havent been home more than 15 minutes in a month. Im really itching to find somehting lol. Plus I have an unopened Ryedale:-(

-K
 
Re: Pressed Penny's

coinmojo said:
Any one here collect them?
Not only do I collect them I also own a small business that makes them for sale in gift shops and souvenir stores.

I do not have the smashing machine, too big and heavy for where I live. I contract out with an engraver/roller for the finished product. I design the art and he rolls them only on copper cents. Very few collectors like zincs because the zinc shows through as gray stripes.

And now a shameless plug: :wink: Any one interested in my website send me a PM. I just came out with a new SMASHED penny for the USS MIDWAY in San Diego. I market and sell them a bit different. I package mine with a real photograph. No body else does it this way.

When you see the image on the back the roller has stained the penny with something to help keep the image.

I found a smashed penny last week at my coinstar it was an India Buddah with Indian words (but in our alphabet) Have to do reasearch.
 
Re: Pressed Penny's

cyberdan said:
I just came out with a new SMASHED penny for the USS MIDWAY in San Diego.

Hey, I was on that ship! When I was in SD in 2006 I was on a hard target search for smashed pennies for trading purposes with Pennyworth. Found some at the Zoo and on another ship (Star of India maybe?).

In my late Dad's collection I found a smashed 1907 Indian Head penny with a Niagara Falls design.
 
Re: Pressed Penny's

I visited Midway June '06 when I was in CA for my Grandfather's funeral. Great ship!
 
Re: Pressed Penny's

TXTim said:
GMan00001 said:
I think I have around 20 of these, most were from coin counter bags.

Me too.
They seem to be common in bags of nickels.

Exactly. You will find a lot of them in nickel bags. I just found three of them in a nickel bag last week. One was from Alaska, which I thought was pretty cool. The other two were from Panama City Beach.

Also, nice link Immy. It is pretty nice to find out where your finds come from. I just found where all three of my new rolled coins came from. The AK one is from Elmendorf AFB. I will have to dig out all of them now and find out where they came from.

HH
cmhoose
 
Re: Pressed Penny's

I found this one in a "dream bag" that says Madonna Inn, California. That was cool to find. So was the 431 -40's and 8-64's I got out of it. I think those days are over.
HH, S_F :icon_jokercolor:
 

Attachments

  • ScreenHunter_10.webp
    ScreenHunter_10.webp
    26.3 KB · Views: 377
Re: Pressed Penny's

Silver_Fox said:
I found this one in a "dream bag" that says Madonna Inn, California. That was cool to find. So was the 431 -40's and 8-64's I got out of it. I think those days are over.
HH, S_F :icon_jokercolor:

Should give you fond memories now every time you see that pressed penny. Glad to accomidate you.

Those dream boxes/bags a far and few these days. Love finding oddball stuff.

Mojo
 
Re: Pressed Penny's

here is me and my kids collection from all over
 

Attachments

  • token.webp
    token.webp
    17.9 KB · Views: 346
Re: Pressed Penny's

can someone please clear up what a coin counter bag is.
 
Re: Pressed Penny's

preistpower said:
can someone please clear up what a coin counter bag is.

Coin counter bags are bags of coins out of coin counter machines. Here are a few photos:
 

Attachments

  • Coin bag 3.webp
    Coin bag 3.webp
    17.9 KB · Views: 240
  • Coin bag 1.webp
    Coin bag 1.webp
    44.4 KB · Views: 283
Re: Pressed Penny's

preistpower said:
can someone please clear up what a coin counter bag is.
Here is a coin counter bag I picked up last year. It had a pressed penny in it too. All the coins with the white edges are silver.
 

Attachments

  • ScreenHunter_12.webp
    ScreenHunter_12.webp
    61 KB · Views: 263
Re: Pressed Penny's

Now that is a bag ...damn S-F that must have been a blast picking through that one :thumbsup:
 
Re: Pressed Penny's

where cna you buy them from banks or what im new to CRh and how would you ask for them
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom