Preston Mountain, Dover NY

xenaskm

Oct 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
BH Quick Silver, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Hi everyone,

I found a link on here last week that mentioned Preston Mountain. I lived about ten miles from there about 27 years ago so I drove up there yesterday all excited about a ghost town I could metal detect. Well, the link I found said Preston Mountain is a ghost town. It's not. Every single inch of land on both sides of the only public road is posted NO TRESPASSING FOR ANY REASON. Let's just say I am disappointed. It's getting so finding anywhere to detect is harder and harder.

Just wanted to let folks know and not waste a trip up there.

Sue

OP
OP
X

xenaskm

Oct 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
BH Quick Silver, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Okay, so how do you know where to find the owners? I've never tried looking for owners before and I'm not sure where to look.

Sue

greywolf

Aug 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
Bounty HunterIV, Bounty Hunter QD II
Well I can't speak for N.Y. Law but in Pa. a No Trespass sign or poster is supposed to be signed and dated by the owner or his agent. They also are supposed to be 25 feet apart and 4 foot above the ground. BUT most places they are just stuck up .

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Go to the county building in the area of question. Ask for the tax maps for the area in question. the maps usually have the property lines drawn and owners listed. Also be aware that allott of large corporations buy up ;large plots of land for many reasons but if the whole area is owned by a large corp. you darned if you ask and darned if you don't.

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
greywolf said:
Well I can't speak for N.Y. Law but in Pa. a No Trespass sign or poster is supposed to be signed and dated by the owner or his agent. They also are supposed to be 25 feet apart and 4 foot above the ground. BUT most places they are just stuck up .
Yes, its the same for NY also, county and town offices have tax records that list the owner.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread