Princess Louise Fusiliers Button...1866?

Johno

Greenie
Sep 14, 2006
I found this button about 6" underground at a site in Dartmouth near where the Halifax Explosion occurred. I have checked with libraries and even with the present day regiment, but have no info on it yet. To id the button inscription, I took a picture of the inside and reversed the image to read what it says very clearly. If anyone can give me any info on whether this button is from the regiment in 1866, I would be most grateful. I know that at the turn of the century, the numerals in the center were replaced with a crown. Thanks to thos who stop and read this.

Phil

Attachments

• Resize of Button Front.JPG
    Resize of Button Front.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 289
  • Resize of Inside Mirrored.jpg
    Resize of Inside Mirrored.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 266
OP
OP
J

Johno

Greenie
Sep 14, 2006
Thanks for the links...less than L2 on eBay, and it's much nicer. Puts my find in the "junk" pile ;D Oh well, it's still mine and I dug it!! I had 2 of the sites you gave me in the 2nd link, but the 3rd told me it was the 66th Regiment. Getting more info all the time..thanks! That's why I love this site. No matter what the item might be, you'll get real input on it's identification, with no rididcule, well maybe a chuckle or two, but always in a fun way!

Phil

Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
The following information would seem to put the date between 1879, when the name "Princess Louise Fusiliers" was first combined with "66," and 1920, when "66" apparently ceased to be a part of their name.

Organization: The Princess Louise Fusiliers originated
on 18 June 1869, when "The Halifax Volunteer Battalion
of Infantry" was authorized. It was redesignated "66th
The Halifax Volunteer Battalion of Infantry", 5 Nov
1869; "66th Battalion, 'Princess Louise Fusiliers'", 14
Nov 1879;
"66th Regiment 'Princess Louise Fusiliers'", 8
May 1900;
"The Princess Louise Fusiliers", 15 May
1920. On 1 Dec 1936 Headquarters and "A" Company,
6th Machine Gun Battalion, CMGC (authorized 1 Jun
1919) was amalgamated with the Regiment to form "The
Princess Louise Fusiliers (M.G.)". It was redesignated
"The Princess Louise Fusiliers", 11 Apr 1958.

Source: http://mgray.hopto.org/PLFus/PLF-Newsletter/2002ED1.pdf.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Johno

Greenie
Sep 14, 2006
You folks are the greatest!! Thanks so much for the replies, I can now catalogue this find properly.

Phil

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread